Rope Lighting, Or Something Else - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,184

Rope lighting, or something else

For soft lighting in our bedroom, just enough to light a path when one of us gets up in the night, I have a short length of rope lighting attached to a piece of 1x, which lays under the dresser, and is controlled by a timer, which turns on about the the time we normally go to bed, and off about the time that we normally rise. This has worked great for probably 10 years now, but I have two questions. First and foremost is the safety aspect; before dong this, I had observed rope lighting along side drapes, and in other areas that I would not consider safe for traditional light bulbs, so I set up a bit of a test bench in the barn, where I left the light on for probably a day or so, and determined that it did not get hot enough to ignite some crumpled paper and other combustibles that I placed next to it. Nevertheless, am I playing against the odds by having this lighting under the dresser? Secondly, is there another type of light that would be safer and/or better for such an application? Thank you.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Seems to work and not a violation, except maybe that it might be supposed to be secured. I would get a bag of mounting clips and attach it the bottom of the dresser and be done.

Advertisement

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

It would be okay as long as it did not get covered up by drapes or carelessly strewn clothing or newspapers, and did not get stepped on.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

I assume you mean incandescent rope lights?

If so....go with LED....uses about 1/5th the energy...lasts longer and does not get nearly as hot. In fact...the best way would be to use one that uses a step down xformer....say 12Vdc....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,184

Thank you, all. Code, I am using the clips as you suggested, but have them attached to a piece of 1x4 or 1x6 so that we can slide the whole thing out easily for cleaning and maintenance; I had figured that the lights would collect dust, and they do, so works well in that regard. Allan, it's not an area where dirty clothes get tossed, curtains hang, or anything like that, and we keep it set back just far enough to avoid any physical damage. Dawg, off the top of my head, I believe that it's LED, but I'm not sure, so will look tonight. I always keep some extra, as it seems like I have to replace it every couple of years, so I just wrote a note to check it, and to make sure that it's LED when I need to buy it again.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

If you are looking to change things up just for the heck of it, IKEA has an array of fun flat or flush LED lights. I used 4 circular ones to light a dark nook of my bedroom for a few years.

Advertisement

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote