Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


We got hit by Hurricane Irene, and my and my brother's room has been losing power intermittently. The rest of the house doesn't lose any, just our rooms (Same circuit). Is it something wrong with the wiring in my house, a short perhaps? I was reading about it potentially being us losing one of our phases to the house, and that could cause some of the circuits to go dead. Any help is appreciated.

Wnt2bsleepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,594
Rewards Points: 2,148
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2bsleepin View Post
We got hit by Hurricane Irene, and my and my brother's room has been losing power intermittently. The rest of the house doesn't lose any, just our rooms (Same circuit). Is it something wrong with the wiring in my house, a short perhaps? I was reading about it potentially being us losing one of our phases to the house, and that could cause some of the circuits to go dead. Any help is appreciated.
Is it just one circuit losing power such as the lights,
Or is it more than one circuit, such as lights and recepticules ?
And yes loss of one phase could be causing your problems,
But you need to check other things first.
Find out what loads are sitting on each incoming hot line,
You should be able to find this out by carefully opening your main panel up
and looking where the wires go. BE VERY CAREFULL eyes only, no hands.
Then once you know whats what, observe if they all go off together ?
Then check for loose connections / faulty main switch / faulty main breaker.
If all seems ok.
Check for power available at main panel
when the circuits are not working.
Do all this before you call POCO.

I cant stress enough,
this is dangerous stuff to do,
If you are not 100% confident,
Then call an electricai in !

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
operagost (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


On the other hand, a call to have your utility company check the incoming power to your house is typically a 'free' service though it may take them a bit to get out there with all the other repair work I'm sure they are involved in.

I have found this type of problem to be a result of a loose connection at a receptacle typically from the use of the stab-in terminations used.

After ensuring the power for that circuit is turned off at the breaker by using a multimeter, start pulling out receptacles on that circuit and look for signs of burning/arcing or wires completely coming out of the stab-in hole.

Once again, electricity is dangerous. If you are unsure about this type of troubleshooting find someone who is trained to do.
Dante711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


It's power to everything in my room. The ceiling fan as well as all the outlets have no power. Next time it happens, I will open up the circuit breaker panel and see if there is any power to my circuit down there. That should help isolate the problem. It's kind of strange that a loss of one phase would cause only one circuit in my house to go dead.
Wnt2bsleepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,863
Rewards Points: 2,374
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


You may only think that it's one circuit----Check the box or test a 220 outlet when it goes off.

Also ,removing the breaker and reinstalling it might clean the contacts ,if it's just one circuit.

If you aren't familiar with a breaker box let someone else do that --be safe. Shut off the main for good luck as you pop out the breaker.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,594
Rewards Points: 2,148
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2bsleepin View Post
It's power to everything in my room. The ceiling fan as well as all the outlets have no power. Next time it happens, I will open up the circuit breaker panel and see if there is any power to my circuit down there. That should help isolate the problem. It's kind of strange that a loss of one phase would cause only one circuit in my house to go dead.
This is why I suggest that you open up your main panel,
And have a look at what circuits are hanging of the troublesome hot,
Then you can see if they ALL go off together,
If they do, it tells you that the problem lies upwind,
Such as faultly main switch/breaker, or a loose
connecttion in your service line.
Or possibly a POCO problem.

But remember to be extra carefull when opening up the main panel.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,863
Rewards Points: 2,374
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Another thing to check----you may have power on the circuit but no neutral---a simple tester will tell you that----
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Just an update. The problem went away for a while, and I had no issues. Then it came back, once the circuit breaker did trip, and the second time (Typing it now in dark) it didn't trip. Prior to me losing power, I noticed that the lights were blinking on and off, and I promptly stuck a multi meter in the outlet. Didn't notice anything cause the power died soon after that.

I was also on my computer, which didn't react to the blinking at all and kept running until the power gave out. Is this something that can be DIY or should an electrician be called in to fix this. The only thing in this room that I installed myself was a ceiling fan and that was about 3-4 years ago and we have had no issues until now.
Wnt2bsleepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,594
Rewards Points: 2,148
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2bsleepin View Post
Just an update. The problem went away for a while, and I had no issues. Then it came back, once the circuit breaker did trip, and the second time (Typing it now in dark) it didn't trip. Prior to me losing power, I noticed that the lights were blinking on and off, and I promptly stuck a multi meter in the outlet. Didn't notice anything cause the power died soon after that.

I was also on my computer, which didn't react to the blinking at all and kept running until the power gave out. Is this something that can be DIY or should an electrician be called in to fix this. The only thing in this room that I installed myself was a ceiling fan and that was about 3-4 years ago and we have had no issues until now.
Is it still localised to one room only ?
Or did the whole house lose power ?
But I would say get an sparky to check it out !
If you doubt your abilities to fix it yourself,
And you clearly do !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Is it still localised to one room only ?
Or did the whole house lose power ?
But I would say get an sparky to check it out !
If you doubt your abilities to fix it yourself,
And you clearly do !

It's still localized to one circuit, which is 2 rooms. I am unsure because I have never opened up the circuit breaker panel before. How am I supposed to improve if I don't take some risks while still being cautious?
Wnt2bsleepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,594
Rewards Points: 2,148
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2bsleepin View Post
It's still localized to one circuit, which is 2 rooms. I am unsure because I have never opened up the circuit breaker panel before. How am I supposed to improve if I don't take some risks while still being cautious?
Are all the circuit/s in these two rooms coming from one breaker,?
or are there several breakers involved ?

If its all from one breaker,
Then start by using a volt meter on the relevent breaker,
whilst the fault exists, check for power on both sides of the breaker.

The output side
And the input side

Once we know the outcome of these tests,
We can help further.

Please be very careful and use safe work practices.
A rubber matt is a good idea,
And dont touch anything else whilst doing it.
One hand on probes and one hand in pocket.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Just call me Andrew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,252
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Room loses electrical, circuit breaker not tripped


Kevlar gloves are a good idea as well. Certainly can't hurt.

__________________
Andrew

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tripping breakers,neutrals,120 volts and 240 volts OH My!!! Stubbie Electrical 17 06-11-2011 06:09 AM
new basement room circuit BlueBSH Electrical 9 09-03-2010 08:44 AM
New circuit breaker owen22 Electrical 14 01-12-2010 07:08 PM
Dead circuit - Breaker not tripped Anne Electrical 2 08-09-2008 03:29 PM
Circuit breaker panel - Advice needed justtired Electrical 15 12-13-2007 05:55 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.