Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Share |
Default

Romex in PVC


What's the electrical code for running romex within PVC? I remember reading that it's not allowed due to the heat it causes.
So my question is, can I run romex in pvc?

ItsDaveTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,647
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDaveTime View Post
...can I run romex in pvc?
Only for very short runs (like to protect it).

If the intention is to add a circuit somewhere that romex is inappropriate
then use wire in conduit or (if underground) UF rated wire.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Only for very short runs (like to protect it).

If the intention is to add a circuit somewhere that romex is inappropriate
then use wire in conduit or (if underground) UF rated wire.
Adding an outlet for a refrigerator in the garage, tying into the existing garage door outlet. Running romex in the attic, but was going to utilize pvc down the interior garage wall, probably 4' of pvc.
ItsDaveTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,772
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDaveTime View Post
Adding an outlet for a refrigerator in the garage, tying into the existing garage door outlet. Running romex in the attic, but was going to utilize pvc down the interior garage wall, probably 4' of pvc.
Why not snake it down the wall and cut in a box?
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Why not snake it down the wall and cut in a box?
It's a concrete poured wall (garage wall), so snaking it down it fairly impossible.
ItsDaveTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,647
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDaveTime View Post
Adding an outlet...Running romex in the attic, but was going to utilize pvc down the interior garage wall, probably (the last) 4' of pvc.
I've seen worse than that done without it blowing up.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,772
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDaveTime View Post
It's a concrete poured wall (garage wall), so snaking it down it fairly impossible.
Oh, you said interior wall so I assumed framed.

Just keep in mind, Sch40 PVC affords no more protection than NM cable in the eyes of the code.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Oh, you said interior wall so I assumed framed.

Just keep in mind, Sch40 PVC affords no more protection than NM cable in the eyes of the code.
So what would your recommend? Run individual strand down pvc to the outlet, or just go with the romex in a 1/2" pvc down the wall? I can always just run the romex down the wall on its own I suppose. It's just in the garage, so would there be any issue with that?
ItsDaveTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,521
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDaveTime View Post
Adding an outlet for a refrigerator in the garage, tying into the existing garage door outlet. Running romex in the attic, but was going to utilize pvc down the interior garage wall, probably 4' of pvc.
Definitely OK. You can run NM cable (romex) in conduit all you want, as long as the conduit is not in a location where NM cable isn't allowed. The conduit would be classified as a "sleeve", not a "raceway", under these circumstances. There is no heat problem - the same derating rules apply as if you had individual conductors in the conduit.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Romex in PVC


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Definitely OK. You can run NM cable (romex) in conduit all you want, as long as the conduit is not in a location where NM cable isn't allowed. The conduit would be classified as a "sleeve", not a "raceway", under these circumstances. There is no heat problem - the same derating rules apply as if you had individual conductors in the conduit.
Good news. Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get into the hot attic here in South Florida to get this done.
ItsDaveTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,324
Default

Romex in PVC


Unless the cable is fished, be sure to secure it within 12" of the end of the sleeve. Use a bushing at the ends of the sleeve, or the proper fitting where it goes into the box.

Be sure to ground the box also.

__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 wire romex to electrical panel and GFI? dvarga Electrical 16 05-17-2012 09:32 PM
Identify age of old Romex - also funny ground Leah Frances Electrical 9 02-06-2012 12:07 AM
How to build a romex spinner jimmy21 Electrical 17 02-06-2012 12:01 AM
Fishing Romex through walls Tetranitrate Electrical 6 07-09-2011 06:12 AM
romex clamped against bx knockout in old box kbm774 Electrical 11 08-16-2010 01:53 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.