Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Romex Junctions

Hello, this is my first post. I've searched around, but not too clear on my situation.

I want to add two circuits to my attached garage. My breaker panel is on the outside of the house, on the other side of the house. There are two unused breakers on my 2nd subpanel, where I plan to add the circuits. Also, when the circuits get to the garage, I want to use EMT, as the outlets will be on the wall in the garage.

My question is: is it okay to run THHN/THWN wire to the breaker panel, then add a junction box in the attic close to where the breaker panel is and transition the wires to Romex. This Romex will run across the attic to where the opening in the wall to the garage is with another junction box, this time going from Romex back to THHN/THWN wires.

I haven't ventured in the attic to where the breaker panel is, but I want to utilize the exisiting conduits that lead to the panel if possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! BTW I live in California, if that helps with any code issues.

fsae0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Romex Junctions

romex can be sleeved in EMT

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Electrician

Romex Junctions

Making splices in the j-boxes and running romex across the attic, box to box, is fine (done properly). You know the THHN has to be in conduit, right? Do you have an empty pipe from the attic to your breaker panel or are you looking at using one that already has conductors in it?

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

Romex Junctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Making splices in the j-boxes and running romex across the attic, box to box, is fine (done properly). You know the THHN has to be in conduit, right? Do you have an empty pipe from the attic to your breaker panel or are you looking at using one that already has conductors in it?

Yes, I know that the THHN wire must be in conduit. As I mentioned, I haven't ventured to the end of the attic where the panel is. I'm taking a day off of work this friday to do it. I'm hoping to use an existing conduit with wires in it, but if it's too full, obviously it looks like I'll have to add a new one. I know how to install junction boxes, as I've done it a few times already when I installed a ceiling fan and bathroom fan.

Cool, good to know that j-boxes & Romex runs are okay. I just wanted avoid running conduit and pulling wires along the entire attic. Thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Electrician

Romex Junctions

Oops...I should add, that is as long as the use of Romex is allowed in your area. Some places it isn't. I know, I scratch my head over that too.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #6

Romex Junctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Oops...I should add, that is as long as the use of Romex is allowed in your area. Some places it isn't. I know, I scratch my head over that too.
Here in southern California it is. Looks like I'm buying me a 100' roll of 12-2 on friday!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Electrician

Romex Junctions

Lucky you...hmmm...a tank of gas or a roll of 12/2...about the same price now-a-days....who'd a thunk it....

Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #8

Romex Junctions

Well, I pulled all-nighter last night, working until 12:30 am. I used an existing 1/2" conduit that was run from the breaker panel to the swamp cooler. It only had two 14 gauge wires in it. It was perfect because it runs from the side of the house to the panel, with a j-box in the middle of the house. The part that comes out of the house has an elbow with a removable cover. Also, my main panel has two 20-amp breakers that are unused! Perfect for my two garage circuits.

So I bought a 75' fish tape and ran four 12 gauge THHN/THWN wires to the panel through the j-box. Next I ran two sections of 12-2 Romex to another j-box by the garage access hole in the attic. Finally, I ran 1/2" flex conduit from the last j-box to the garage with THHN/THWN wire. Now all I have left is to run my EMT and outlets in the garage.

The biggest pain was running the wire through the conduit... If I see 1/2" EMT I'm gonna scream!!! Thanks everyone for your advice.