Romex And Homade Bushing From Pex Romex Sheathing Repair Is This Okay? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Jim Port
  • 1 Post By Ultrarunner2017
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By carmusic
  • 2 Post By J. V.
  • 2 Post By Oso954
  • 1 Post By Yodaman
  • 1 Post By rdoggie

Old 01-04-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?

I am new to the group and wiring up my sub panel need some advice in two area. I used 6-3 from main and 10-3 from panel to dryer. Well I forgot as this happened one time before that the clamp I used for the 10-3 shorted as soon as I fired up the 30 amp breaker in sub panel. I pulled off the sheathing and the insulation was only nicked in a very small place I couldn't see copper wire. None the less I cleaned all the burn marks off where clamp was and pulled wire in further. I used two layers of heat shrink to cover area on that one wire. After the spark event, I got a larger wire clamp 3/4. As I was going back together I was concerned that these clamps could use a bushing to prevent shorting the panels so I had some old pex I cut and and used as a bushing running the whole length the wire comes thru and out the clamp. I then lightly tightened up so wire on pex bushing so wire will not move easily.

Question is what ive done with heat shrink and pex bushings acceptable? It holds both wires firmly.

Advertisement

rdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 1,780

Re: Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?

There was no need for the pex. I am not sure an inspector would pass it.

The clamp does not need to crush the cable. It is simply snugged lightly.
J. V. and rdoggie like this.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 900

You could use a plastic clamp. I don't prefer them, as they do not appear to hold the cable (especially large size cable) as well as the metal ones do, but Jim Port stated - the clamp shouldn't crush the cable - just tight enough that it doesn't slip out with a light tug.
Problem with using the Pex "bushing" is that it might be rigid enough to allow the cable clamp to be tightened down on it, but still allow your cable to slip in or out.
About the heat-shrink tubing: I think it would be OK, so long as it is rated at least to the NEC requirement for splicing, which I would think (I haven't checked the NEC on this yet) needs to be at least as good as the wire in your cable - which I believe is 90C temperature rating.

Edit: Did you say that you are using the same clamp for both the 6/3 and the 10/3? If so, then I think you would be better off using two separate clamps. I'm not sure what the code is on this.
rdoggie likes this.

Last edited by Ultrarunner2017; 01-05-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Ultrarunner2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 3,392

If inspected/permitted.... bet you the BO will not pass it... cable clamps are ul listed.... and while you were well intentioned and probably very safe in doing what you did, it is a modification and no longer ul listed.

Just commenting
rdoggie likes this.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 768

you probably used a bx clamp on a nmd cable (bx clamp have a notch to lock the bx cable)
can you post a picture of the clamp?
rdoggie likes this.
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #6

Thank you all for the advise on going foward. I going to send a picture with what i did as it may help someone else. I may do main to sub panel wire in conduit or plastic bushing as the angle has a bend. The 10-3 wire to dryer has to go up and over a cinderblock wall and im running wire under what used to be the roof over hang or eaves before they added room on and attached it to old roof. Its been a crazy house project. Slab cinder blocks. house and flat roof and they re steeped roof and left flat roof as floor with shingles. I will have to re route properly im sure. Will take pics. Thanks

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?-148379251860879657987_1483792561173.jpg   Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?-1483792709883-856813237_1483792728422.jpg   Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?-14837926802881073383936_1483792705664.jpg   Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?-1483792616158602007269_1483792648654.jpg   Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?-1483792662622-1397589478_1483792677819.jpg  

Romex and homade bushing from pex romex sheathing repair is this okay?-14837931103291341685028_1483793128038.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 204

I did not look at the pictures, but repairing that cable is a no go IMO. It would not pass inspection here unless the inspector did not notice.
Pull the cable up into the attic or down into the basement or crawl space and mount a box.
Make the new connections in this box and discard the bad section of cable.
Bring new cable into the panel from this box.
Use red wire nuts for number 10 wire.
Pharon and rdoggie like this.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,338

I don't think that panel has been inspected for years, probably not since original install.
It's had a couple of circuits added over the years that don't appear to have been inspected. Makes me wonder if it's going to be this time.

Looks like an old Wadsworth. In my neck of the woods, I'd guess 1955 plus or minus.
Yodaman and rdoggie like this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 1,572

How to politely say this? You should hire a electrician before you burn down your house. The inexperience of whomever has been doing electrical work here is evident.

Regarding your original question, the original clamp was over tightened or it was the wrong clamp. There are however places where a pipe can be used as a protective chase to feed a wire thru. But underneath the clamp is probably not one of them. It just adds to the overall picture of inexperience.
rdoggie likes this.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #10

Right on with the box being a old Wadsworth the original owner upgraded panel around the 1970s from what his son told me. He actually worked for the local power company in my area and retired from there!!! The house built in 1947 probably had a 60amp fuse box originally and is wired with BX cable all through the original flat roof with 2x12 beams . I purchased the house 3 years ago and had it to get it inspected. The inspector at the time stated he didn't like the old Wadsworth panels but was ok with what was there although messy with circuits to new side and back room added on. The only mods I did was to add the sub panel on the old 50amp oven circuit cause I replaced electric stove with propane. What happened with the clamp is the lesson learned part.
I do have some electrical experience from working in the heavy equipment maint. and I have worked with 120volts and wiring for some years on past home projects with my dad and had codes man inspect while we worked along. This time I followed all the specs down to the T 6-3 is good for 50amp supplying sub and I did separate the ground and negative in sub. The 30amp 10-3 to dryer from sub.

THIS IS THE MISTAKE I MADE
1. 3/8 clamp with detent in center on clamp with 10-3 round wire and when I tightened up the clamp (I didn't torque it down) the detent in camp didn't pierce the wire coating but the soft Romex coating was squished which cause the short and pop the breaker tripped immediately when I turned the sub panel on.
The key point along with inexperience is that most Romex 3 wire used is flat and the clamp usually will not crush wire unless torqued but the round wire will easily short the clamp.

Reason for the pex as bushing idea was because I seen on the BX wires they have and anti short plug and on conduit they had a plastic bushing that goes around the wire camp to prevent chaffing causing a dead short.

Crazy in theory ,I know, but using a plastic clamp or conduit would be a better choice and look more professional. I certainly intend on having this inspected cause we will be selling house in a few years and want it done right.

The reason for installing sub panel is that the original owner ran a 30amp um cable only buried 4inches around perimeter of house that ran 50ft to the back room and powered what I (thought directly) was a old 20 amp Wadsworth Sub Panel. Off that panel there was a dryer plug and 20amp for old ac window unit no longer there and a baseboard heater. Oh yeah the washer is in front of the house where water pipe comes in and dryer located in the back of the house. I wondered when the baseboard was on with dryer running it would trip the 30amp at main but not the 20amp double pole in the sub. Well now, I found out why!!! The dryer circuit was ran and powered with the 30amp beaker and then pigtailed off plug to power the 20amp sub panel The dryer was pulling 20+ amps by itself and when heater was on it pulled 10+amps or so it tripped the 30amp at main but not the 20 powering the base boards lol!!!

New dryer runs fine pulling 20 and 24 amps on each leg of circuit. Now I verified it works fine I will look into conduit for main to sub or leave clamps and do a junction box on the wall 6ft from dryer and pull damaged wire through box and ask inspector about routing wires properly. Then call the inspector to check. Will update process.
Thanks again for the replies
Sorry for typing a letter but so much info to share but I hope it helps someone in future!!
Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #11

Update on wiring issue. I used plastic snap in bushings and they work great. I have to trim excess wire covering into panels. I also installed bushings where one old wire was in main panel without one.
J. V. likes this.

Advertisement