Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Romex in existing wall

Hello all DIYs.

I want to run power to a 1500watt baseboard heater that 5 years ago was connected via external metal conduit,, but was removed when I had the house sided.
So now I have a double poll 20amp breaker in my circuit box that is empty and ready to be used. The box is about 30 ft from the baseboard heater.
I live on a slab and have no attic.

Instead of removing the bottom 12 inches or so of drywall, I was thinking I could just remove the baseboard TRIM (there seems to be about a 1/4 to 1/2) gap between the bottom of the drywall and slab - anyway, I think I can tuck in the 12-2 romex. Therefore not a ton of redrywall work. I just reattach the trim board and touch up the paint?

Is this safe?

DaveyCrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #2

Romex in existing wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrocket View Post
Hello all DIYs.

I want to run power to a 1500watt baseboard heater that 5 years ago was connected via external metal conduit,, but was removed when I had the house sided.
So now I have a double poll 20amp breaker in my circuit box that is empty and ready to be used. The box is about 30 ft from the baseboard heater.
I live on a slab and have no attic.

Instead of removing the bottom 12 inches or so of drywall, I was thinking I could just remove the baseboard TRIM (there seems to be about a 1/4 to 1/2) gap between the bottom of the drywall and slab - anyway, I think I can tuck in the 12-2 romex. Therefore not a ton of redrywall work. I just reattach the trim board and touch up the paint?

Is this safe?
BX Cable
Armored electrical cable wrapped in galvanized steel outer covering. A factory assembly of insulated conductors inside a flexible metallic covering. It can be run anywhere except where exposed to excessive moisture. It should not be run below grade. It must always be grounded and uses its armor as an equipment ground. It is difficult to pull out old wires or insert new ones.
The way i would do it is either pvc or emt along the bottom of baseboard and put some straps on it that would be the safe way to go its only 30 ft from panel .

Last edited by 300zx; 10-14-2009 at 09:06 AM.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #3

Romex in existing wall

No, not safe and not to code.
The cable needs to be protected from nails, staples - anything that might tear the insulation jacket - your wood trim does not do this.

There is a small metal conduit available that is generally meant to run wire over wall coverings. You might be able to run your cable in this and still fit it under the drywall with minimal trimming. They have it at HD.
OffRoadAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Romex in existing wall

It is done that way all the time for rehabs, where you cannot just tear into a wall. To the OP, only thing you need to remember if you are running behind a baseboard, is to get a flex bit, and drill into the 2x4 to pull the wire through, not just place it & cover with baseboard. If you place the baseboard over it, you have to be careful in nailing it back on, due to one misplaced nail, you will have to start all over again.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

Romex in existing wall

Quote:
Hello all DIYs.

Is this safe?

No, you can't put the wire behind the baseboard - IE removing the sheetrock & just attaching to the 2x4's
It must be in the wall
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Romex in existing wall

That is why I stated that you need the Flex bit to drill the holes in the 2x4's to pull through. What ever the home owner does, remember that no one can hold them responsible for their actions.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #7

Romex in existing wall

Ok, I was hoping I didn't have to pull the drywall off. I see HD has the 12-2 wire already in a flexible conduit.
Does this have to be between the studs? Or can I just tuck this under the drywall behind the trim? I don't have any moisture problems.
DaveyCrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #8

Romex in existing wall

Quote:
Ok, I was hoping I didn't have to pull the drywall off. I see HD has the 12-2 wire already in a flexible conduit.
Does this have to be between the studs? Or can I just tuck this under the drywall behind the trim? I don't have any moisture problems.
It has to be in the wall, not directly behind the trim
It's also supposed to be 1.25" from the stud face
If not it has to be protected from damage
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #9

Romex in existing wall

How tall is your trim? Is there enough that you could sawzall or notch the stud dremel or something then buy nail plates and put them on .
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 16

Romex in existing wall

Going horizontally through the wall you will have to cut approx. 3x3 holes every 32 inches (halfway between every other pair of studs) and reach in with a long bit to bore holed centered in the studs.

Going vertically through the wall, the Romex cable can hang loose. You would need only 2x2 holes here and there to reach in and fish the cable through.