DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

romex conduit question

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Proby 
#1 ·
so I'm not really a handy man pro, and I've never gotten into electrical.
but I got a question for anyone who has some common knowledge on the basics..
we just moved into a place with exposed romex for the chandelier running on the outside of the wall..

is this unsafe? I thought it was supposed to be in something.. I know where we moved from all the wire was in the wall..

thanks for the answer and awesome forums!!

sorry for large pictures, I'm unsure on resizing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Romex must be protected from physical damage
That wire is not
Usually romex is run inside the wall for protection
They were lazy & did not want to snake the wire thru the wall/ceiling

Not sure if that switchbox meets code either
Possibly the wall is solid windows? Sunroom ?
You can run the wire in romex...

#3 ·
Hi and welcome.
Question: Are you a renter or is this a place you recently purchased?
This exposed wires are a no no and must be fixed but if this is the only issue, then there is some nice surface mounted raceways available that will fix this right up. Do you think you would tackle this?

#5 ·
yep, we're just renting atm
I'd certainly do it myself if he will compensate my cost lol
not worried about labor, just that my dog don't blast his way thru.. the kids are a little older but still... :furious:

the best part of our new place is the stairs.. we've all fallen down them and now they actually broke thru.. the first 4 of them that is..

got pic's but thats another topic in the forums lol

#4 ·
it must be the windows as you suggested because the front of the house is mostly windows..

so I'm going to ask the landlord to fix this then.. we have children and a 15 month puppy that could easily get in contact with this as the switch is easily only 3 feet high and directly behind our couch..
should be a easy fix too.

#8 ·
milehigh, do NOT fix any of that electrical work yourself. Definitely do not make any type of deals with the landlord.

If the next renter gets hurt or if the house burns down years down the road, you could be liable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.