DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rod Lengths for Ceiling Fans and Mini Pendants

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Not Sure 
#1 ·
I would like to know how long the rod should be for a regular ceiling fan with a light from a ten foot ceiling. I know it's a personal choice, but I was wondering what would be about right. I'm thinking a 12 inch rod... For a 12 foot ceiling, I'm thinking a 24 inch rod. Are these pretty good estimates or am I way off base?

Also, I have three mini pendant lights that will be hanging over a 42 inch high counter. The counter is between the kitchen, dining room and living room. (It's an open floor plan.)The ceiling over the kitchen and dining room is ten foot. The living room has a 12 foot step-down ceiling. The lights will all be hung from the 10 foot ceiling. For these three lights, I'm thinking three foot rods???

I appreciate your thoughts. THANK YOU!

#2 ·
You're pretty close on the fans. On the 10' ceiling I can also see even keeping the stock 6" rod, if it came with one. If all the fan came with is the stubby 3" rod, a 6" would be fine as well.

As for the pendants. I keep them just above average eye level for placement such as this. With a 10' ceiling I would keep the rods/stems to 36" or less. That would keep the bottom of a typical fixture at or above 6'.

#4 ·
A Question for Speedy Petey

You're pretty close on the fans. On the 10' ceiling I can also see even keeping the stock 6" rod, if it came with one. If all the fan came with is the stubby 3" rod, a 6" would be fine as well.

Do you think a 12 inch rod would be too long for a 10 foot step-down ceiling? I'm thinking the fixture is less than 12 inches with the light and the fan part. The fan was hung with what I think is a four or six inch rod and it really looks close to the ceiling. (I'm not at the job location or I'd measure the rod right now.)

#6 ·
Just remember that the longer you go with the stem, the more your fan will wobble. You can balance them with the kit that comes with the fan, but it can turn out to be a time consuming and tricky process. For that reason, I struggle to keep downrods short unless requested otherwise.

#7 ·
Thank you mdshunk!

An electrical contractor will be installing the fans and lights throughout the house.

The living room fan is from Minka Aire and cost me about $400. I hope a two foot rod will be fine with a good fan. With a 12 foot ceiling, I'm afraid the fan would get lost if it is too close to the ceiling.

Now, the fan in the master bedroom came from Lowe's and cost about $150. It's not a high-end brand, as you can tell by the price. I know a person with the same fan on an 18" rod and it seems to be fine. BUT, now that I've read your post, I wonder... Hummmm... These fans are in a house that will be for sale. I don't want a lot of call backs. (The fan in the bedroom is mounted on a 10' high ceiling. I was thinking a 12' rod would look nicer than a short rod.)

Thanks again for your reply! You've helped out on other problems I've had as well! I really do appreciate ALL your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.