Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Rigid to meter connection and bonding?

So a few months ago I had a panel meltdown and I took it as an opportunity to upgrade. Because of the urgency, I did it without a permit and inspection. Stupid I know, but now I'm doing some other work and am trying to get everything above board and permitted. There are a few things to be addressed but nothing major but I have a few questions.

Because its a service entrance I understand the rigid needs to be bonded and I have a bushing at both ends but I'm confused as to how best to make up the conduit connection to the meter enclosure. The way I have it just doesn't seem right.

Because of space requirements I had to move the panel over and as such couldn't keep the back-to-back setup and now have a factory 90 going into the side of the meter enclosure under the jaws. I had to drill my own hole and pass the threads of the rigid 90 through. There is a locknut on the outside and inside sandwiching the meter enclosure.

While secure, I know its not the most weathertight connection. Should I use sealing locknuts or some other connector I don't know about? Because of the length of the factory 90 and how the threads extend into the meter enclosure, I cant use a hub or raintight fitting. Since its below the meter jaws and the bottom of the pedestal is open to the ground anyways, do I even need to worry about it? I guess I could cut and rethread the 90 if needed but I'm trying to avoid pulling the 3/0 out as it was quite the ordeal getting it in in the first place.

Also, the GEC continues out the other side of the meter pedestal to the two ground rods. Because it's #4, I don't have to protect from damage before it goes to the ground rods correct? I'll probably sleeve it in some 1/2" PVC anyways but I was just curious.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Nobody? I took a pic to show what I'm talking about. Wondering how to fix this without removing, cutting, and rethreading the rigid 90. Or if its even an issue since its below the meter jaws.

Edit: would this be considered arranged to drain into the meter and also be an issue because of that?

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
Nobody? I took a pic to show what I'm talking about. Wondering how to fix this without removing, cutting, and rethreading the rigid 90. Or if its even an issue since its below the meter jaws.

Edit: would this be considered arranged to drain into the meter and also be an issue because of that?

I would have used an LB, not a 90. Other than appearance it looks fine. The GEC (green wire) must be protected from physical damage regardless off size. No conduit required either. They make straps just for this purpose.

How many wires in that 90? 3 or 4? What size is the conduit? How does this conduit penetrate the structure? Take a picture of the complete service, inside and out, if you want a response.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote