DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Rigid conduit installation help needed (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/rigid-conduit-installation-help-needed-137184/)

socalsteve72 03-15-2012 10:27 PM

Rigid conduit installation help needed
 
2 Attachment(s)
Q1-
isn't rigid conduit supposed to bottom out in hub on new service panel? I thought so, installed mine and the threads look fine but only threaded in about 8 turns then stopped. Same on the other end.
Q2-
i'm trying to figure out how to brace my service entrance rigid conduit in my garage wall to my service panel. the conduit is 1 1/2 inch and the studs are 3 1/2 (2x4) so there's no room for cross bracing behind the rmc.i was gonna brace then strap but no room(stucco exterior) any ideas??:(
Pics are attached any help is greatly appreciated-
Steve

Julius793 03-15-2012 10:39 PM

Use straps

socalsteve72 03-15-2012 11:03 PM

what should i strap to?....
i previously explained the problem, maybe i'm missing something:(

zappa 03-15-2012 11:05 PM

A1....Tapered pipe thread. It only threads in so far and becomes tight when there is no more clearance between the threads.

Julius793 03-15-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalsteve72
what should i strap to?....
i previously explained the problem, maybe i'm missing something:(

Concrete or cinderblock what ever it is.

socalsteve72 03-15-2012 11:15 PM

I wasn't sure if it was tapered like std pipe thread, or supposed to be straight thread as i read about online.
Any ideas on strapping product(s)/ ideas on conduit supports ??

socalsteve72 03-15-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius793 (Post 878580)
Concrete or cinderblock what ever it is.

It's stuuco on stud construction. no plywood, ony the framing to strap to.....see pics

zappa 03-15-2012 11:19 PM

Is it a code requirement to support closer to the panel than your double plate? It looks pretty secure to me. How about wooden blocking, maybe a 2x and a 1x to the closest stud and a half clamp or that thin metal strapping with the holes in it?

socalsteve72 03-15-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zappa (Post 878583)
Is it a code requirement to support closer to the panel than your double plate? It looks pretty secure to me. How about wooden blocking, maybe a 2x and a 1x to the closest stud and a half clamp or that thin metal strapping with the holes in it?

Code here requires bracing every 15 inches, i agree it's secure definitely no going anywhere but don't want to get called on it

Julius793 03-15-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalsteve72
It's stuuco on stud construction. no plywood, ony the framing to strap to.....see pics

We aren't understanding each other, take a 2 hole strap, drill out the stuco/concrete and use anchors. Why do you think you can only strap to wood?

oleguy74 03-16-2012 12:01 AM

more than likley gaulled threads.you should pre fit hub to conduit.don't know if it is wrong but when i pre fit hub to conduit put a little no-alox on threads.no more trbl.

socalsteve72 03-16-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oleguy74 (Post 878603)
more than likley gaulled threads.you should pre fit hub to conduit.don't know if it is wrong but when i pre fit hub to conduit put a little no-alox on threads.no more trbl.

So you're saying it should bottom out in the hub?

brric 03-16-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalsteve72 (Post 878609)
So you're saying it should bottom out in the hub?

No, it will NOT bottom out. Just to be nosy, where is your meter?

Speedy Petey 03-16-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oleguy74 (Post 878603)
more than likley gaulled threads.

I highly doubt it. It looks fine.



Quote:

Originally Posted by socalsteve72 (Post 878584)
Code here requires bracing every 15 inches,

This is NOT correct.
IMO it is FINE the way it is.

I also ask where the meter is?
And why only 1-1/2"? Most places 2" is the minimum mast size. Is the service/feeder drop supported by the mast?

socalsteve72 03-16-2012 08:25 AM

Mast is for meter/service panel combo, min code here is 1 1/2' rigid for 200a panel i'm using 2/0 service wire


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved