Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Right side meter connection

I am in Fl. and my power company is Fl. Power. We are adding a pool and Fl. Power came out to see me about moving the overhead power to underground as called for by local codes. Our existing meter is connected to the right side of our panel box. The girl who came out for the field inspection claims it is not acceptable this way and the panel box must be moved over so the new meter connects to the left hand side. This sounds like B.S. to me but before I go to the expense of moving the panel box 18" I thought I would ask somebody. When I asked what the reasoning for this was she said it was just the way the code reads. Does anyone know this to be true?

rebootit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebootit View Post
I am in Fl. and my power company is Fl. Power. We are adding a pool and Fl. Power came out to see me about moving the overhead power to underground as called for by local codes. Our existing meter is connected to the right side of our panel box. The girl who came out for the field inspection claims it is not acceptable this way and the panel box must be moved over so the new meter connects to the left hand side. This sounds like B.S. to me but before I go to the expense of moving the panel box 18" I thought I would ask somebody. When I asked what the reasoning for this was she said it was just the way the code reads. Does anyone know this to be true?
Can you get a pic of the current setup? It maybe that what you have is setup in such a way that you could get unmetered power?

InPhase277

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Contact the power company or visit their website to obtain the installation requirements for a residential service. Then there will be no question as to how it should be done.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,220

Perhaps the FPL employee is talking about the bottom of page 16.

http://www.fpl.com/doingbusiness/bui...MtrConnect.pdf
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #5

Here is a photo. There is no room to the left as the panel is in the corner. Looking at the Fl. Power blue book of acceptable meter enclosure installations nothing is said about which side the meter is allowed to be on. What I was told is the connection to the panel is fine, as long as it is on the left side.
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #6

The bottom of page 16 does not say that the panel box has to be rt. or left, ONLY that one side is clear for them, IE I can't have two panel boxes tied to both sides of the meter. To quote Fl. Power pg. 16...

"When customers conductors are parallel, customers conductors MUST be kept entirely to one side of the meter can, leaving the opposite side of the meter can unobstructed for FPLs conductor. When load conductors enter through the bottom rear of the meter can they must be kept entirely to one side so not to interfere with the FPL conductor. "

I am having a problem understanding what difference it makes if they connect to the bottom rt. side of the can and allow me to still run from the left. They would still have a clear side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Perhaps the FPL employee is talking about the bottom of page 16.

http://www.fpl.com/doingbusiness/bui...MtrConnect.pdf
Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I think you are dealing with a visually oriented, literalist. The text is clear as to keeping ONE SIDE CLEAR. It does not state which side.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Let me step in for a min i think i know why the FPL reqire that way because the OP menetion going from Overhead to Underground it will change a bit with the FPL regulations and they want no other underground conduct or cables to be near the POCO underground cables and not cross front of it.

are you keeping at 100 amp size or going to upgrade to 200 amp size?? it may change the facter as well.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #9

Current service is 150 and is alright for our needs. If I am forced to change it out I will upgrade to 200. I am a licensed journeyman in the sign industry and am comfortable with moving the panel if need be but I just don't see where the rules say it has to be done. The less splices in a system the better.
As for switching to underground there is nothing in the way or anything I am crossing over or in front of. Unless the new meter box is missing a rt. hand side bottom knockout, and they may be that way as I never looked, I can't see any reason why going that way would not be acceptable.
I have to agree with goose134, she is looking at a picture and ignoring the text under it. I will call a supervisor on Monday.

Last edited by rebootit; 03-01-2008 at 06:05 AM.