Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

Share |

Right-Angle drill?

Hi;
I think I am going to be doing some major rewiring in my 85yr old home within the next year.
I may end up getting an electrician, but currently there is no way I can afford one.

I don't have any trouble with doing the wiring myself; I have lots of experience, but haven't done all that much pulling of new cable through old walls and ceilings.

So, I'm wondering whether owning a right-angle drill would make the job easier. I would like to avoid having to cut large openings in ceilings and walls. These are old plaster & lathe, not sheetrock.

I think a decent RA drill would cost me around $300, but if it would make the patching job a lot easier, then I would consider it a good investment. I am sure I would be using that drill many times again.

What do you think?

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Right-Angle drill?

milwaukee makes a nice right angle drill that can be converted to a regular drill by simply removing a coupler .... it also acts a a doubler higher or lower speed. you can get those for aboiut 270 new or used in a pawn shop. they are easy to replace brishes to .... that drill also works very well for mixing cause it can be cut down to 250 rpm with the doubler attached...

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Right-Angle drill?

The box store also carry a RA drill attachment that converts a regular drill to RA.
I carry one of those instead of a RA drill.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #4

Right-Angle drill?

I tried one of the RA attachments from HD
It lasted for a few holes & then died/almost fell apart
Plastic in the fitting somewhere did not last long
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
fabrk8r

Right-Angle drill?

Milwaukee hole hog...sell it on ebay or graigslist when done...won't lose much value and you won't find a better hole cutting tool.

Just be careful with it...it'll put a hurtin' on ya if you get between it and anything substantial.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
I=E/R

Right-Angle drill?

I'm looking at getting one of these to use with my cordless drill.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-2...N%3DB000BYEJ02
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Licensed Pro

Right-Angle drill?

I do a lot of rewiring in older homes... there are very few instances where a right angle drill is helpful. Spend your money on long auger bits and D'Versibits in 4' to 6' lengths. Use a heavy duty cordless drill as much as possible... makes fewer sparks when you drill into a live wire .
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #8

Right-Angle drill?

I'm in the process of re-wiring my second floor. I had to drill into the top plate of a few walls right up by the roof line. I purchased a right angle drill attachment from Lowes for $19. It worked perfectly even under really high torque. I was using 1 inch drill bits that were incredibly aggressive and the attachment didn't seem to have any problems transferring the torque from the drill to the bit.
jerseyguy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #9

Right-Angle drill?

I have a cheap right angle drill attachment, think it came from HF. I've only used it ~10 times and it's worked fine so far. But, if I was going to be doing a lot drilling where I needed it I would definitely get a dedicated rt angle drill as the attachments are a pain to work with.
Steve_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #10

Right-Angle drill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
I do a lot of rewiring in older homes... there are very few instances where a right angle drill is helpful. Spend your money on long auger bits and D'Versibits in 4' to 6' lengths. Use a heavy duty cordless drill as much as possible... makes fewer sparks when you drill into a live wire .
I could never bring myself to spring the $40 for a 6ft diversabit, so I compromised and bought the extension. Only 5ft I think, but I have found it useful, on a couple of occasions. I was never able to figure out how to make the thing go exactly where I wanted it to. It seems that you need a helper to guide the shaft.

FW

Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #11

Right-Angle drill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy1996 View Post
I'm in the process of re-wiring my second floor. I had to drill into the top plate of a few walls right up by the roof line. I purchased a right angle drill attachment from Lowes for $19. It worked perfectly even under really high torque. I was using 1 inch drill bits that were incredibly aggressive and the attachment didn't seem to have any problems transferring the torque from the drill to the bit.
What brand of attachment did you buy? Maybe some are better than others.
I would expect the attachment to have its own handle to grab onto?

I have some time to think and plan this out. I was able to get around a major job today when a light fixture stopped working, but tomorrow I may not be as lucky

FW

Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Right-Angle drill?

There are few area that I will use the diversabit and I have few diffrent size and length as well so they work very well with me and yeah they are not cheap but it worth it in most case.

I have 4 , 5 and 6 footer plus 4 foot extendison shaft as well { I can go from floor to floor with one shot if done right. }

For the right angle drill there are few diffrent size on market if you only use once a while the smaller one will work just fine but if you going to use alot then the hevey duty verison will work good I have Miluwakee right angle drill which I use it alot and also a HoleHawg as well.

I use the HoleHawg for very fast rough boring { typically in new home or bore thru the timeber beams }

But one stern warning if you use the HoleHawg if they bind up for some reason that drill I gaurntee you that they will throw you across the room which it did happend to me couple time allready.

{ I have both Americian and European verison with me }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
Licensed electrician

Right-Angle drill?

Given how the wood in old houses always seems to be harder than new wood I would not even try to wire and old house without a RA drill and sharp bits. It also allows you to drill where longer bits wouldn't go.

I have the DeWalt RA drill. It was about $200.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #14

Right-Angle drill?

Are any of the RA drills variable speed? I would think that having control over the speed might prevent an accident like those I am being warned about.

FW

Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
fabrk8r

Right-Angle drill?

Milwaukee stuff is variable speed.

I should also add that if you foresee any plumbing upgrades in your future it would really be worth your while to get a quality right angle drill drill. Trying to drill holes for vent pipe takes a motor with some guts.

Last edited by fabrk8r; 09-02-2010 at 11:06 AM.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote