Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rewiring wall switch for fan

I have a room with three can lights in it all controlled by one on/off switch. I replaced one of the lights with a ceiling fan. Now, the single switch turns the fan and remaining two lights on and off as I expected. I want to be able to control the fan independently from the two lights.

The wall switch has three separate Romex wires running to it, each with a black, white and ground wire. The three ground wires are twisted together and the three white wires are twisted together. Two of the black wires are twisted together and connected to one terminal of the wall switch and the third black wire connects to the remaining switch terminal.

I tried to isolate one set of the Romex wires but that removed power from all fixtures. I also tried to install a Lutron Maestro fan/light switch and that gave me control of the fan but the remaining two lights were always on.

How can I wire the switch to have independent control of the fan and lights. I donít have attic access to these fixtures.

Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Rewiring wall switch for fan

Marci- -you are not going to be able to operate the lights and fan independently with the wiring set-up you currently have. IF you have three pair of Romex wires within the switch box, I'd say at this point you have one black wire which would be a "line" or "hot" wire, one black wire that goes to all three can lights and the other black wire goes to maybe an outlet nearby. OR, one set of wires are hot, and the three can lights are fed by the two separate sets of wires. BUT- the are all controlled by one switch. Pretty common wiring. In order to have independent control of the lights and fan you will have to have another switch added. This can be done along side of the existing switch. IF you have two wires going from the switch to the three can lights this would be easy, if you only have one wire going from the switch to the three can lights, you will have to pull another run of wiring for the fan. Without the attic access, this will not be easy but can be done by a competent electrician. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote