Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

Rewiring vandalized house

I am trying to buy a house with a FHA 203K loan. The electrical was vandalized by someone who pulled out all the wiring from the electrical box.Unknown how extensive the damage, but would have to be corrected according to county codes. the house was built in the 1930s. Approximately 1900 sq ft house. There is attic space and some basement space. Any suggestions on the best way to attack this huge problem, Any estimate on cost or current per hour electrician rates?

honeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Military Mom of 4

I'd look at it like a blessing in disguise - trying to sort out wiring problems that come with pre-existing electrical can be a headache and a half.

Assume all electrical is useless - map out a new electrical schematic using the existing juncture boxes (or adding in new ones if need be). Calculate your new wire based on these schematics - account for all plugs, switches, boxes and opens (wires that attach directly to a unit like a dishwasher or air-vent)

Then remove all existing wiring - either choose to keep and reuse or recycle. If you reuse - deduct the present usable lengths from the overall length needed. If you recycle put that money towards your wiring costs.

Over these last few years I've replaced a significant amount of wiring in my home - it would have been a chunk of change upfront but in the end less work to just rip it out and start completely fresh.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #3

It's hard to let you know about current electrician rates without knowing where you live
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Military Mom of 4

Every time I've had an estimate for electrical it's been in the thousands . . . which is why I started doing it all on my own - cover the cost of materials . . . no labor - inspection and done.