Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Rewiring and splitting circuits per room

There are two bedrooms above the living room. All with rigid conduit running down four walls from the attic, and each bedroom has four lines of conduit.

The four from the living room are shared with the bearing/exterior walls. Of these four, they also share the conduit from the above mentioned bedrooms.

I've been debating to use one dedicated circuit for the two bedrooms and another dedicated circuit for the living room. This scenario is quite time consuming and would require much more pulling and materials.

The other scenario is to have each bedroom on their own circuit and run the live lines down to the outlets in the living room. This would be easiest and fast. However, on the panel I would have detailed notes of which outlets are on that circuit. Is there anything about the CA or NEC codes which would prohibit this?

Obviously I've done the load calculations and balanced it. However, I would like to know if the NEC would prohibit the latter of the two.

npbsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #2

If the conduits were run so that bedroom and living room outlets dirctly above one another were on the same circuit, no problem keeping it that way.

But if an arc fault interrupter is needed for the bedroom (as is the case in the US) it would also have to affect the living room receptacle.

Recently I did a job where the receptacles on both sides of a wall (two adjoining rooms) were on the same circuit.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

I'm going to spend the extra money on any room that I installed Romex in and use a Arc Fault anyhow. It's an extremely old house, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Besides, it would only be $180-220 more for the arc faults. Well worth the extra security.
npbsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote