Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rewiring Setback

Hello - I'm re-wiring my house and some of the wires lables came off. Every time I try something new to get the wires right, something else goes wrong.

I need to hook the wires up so the hall light is the only thing on the hall lightswitch and the bedroom light is the only thing on the bedroom lightswitch.

I know I have the hall lightswitch hooked up correctly, it's just the hall light and the bedroom lightswitch.

I uploaded a picture...

For the bedroom light - The lightswitch wires hooked as so:
Red to black of rest of outlets
White to light and white of rest of outlets
Black to light

Anyone that can tell me how to connect these wires correctly would be nice! I hope to hear from someone!

Ryan
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hall LightBedroom Light.doc (19.5 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by rhinester; 02-19-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Add attachment
rhinester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
hms
Remodeling contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Rewiring Setback

I would start by isolating all the wires and identify all the ones that you KNOW to be right. Then get your meter out and find the HOT leads and label them. If there is a group of black wires don't take these apart. they will be your hots. Same for the whites. find yourself a hot lead and hook up your believed light legs to it one at a time (with the power off) turn on the power and see which light comes on and label that wire as to the light that came on.... Find all your light legs and then use your hot leg to one side of switches and your load hot to the other side of your switches. Hope this helps.

Remember... Safety first. don't do this "hot" take the time to turn power off and on as needed.

hms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
Sparrky

Rewards Points: 75

Rewiring Setback

Okay...where this gets complicated is when using Romex to re-wire..and must use a WHITE neutral leg . .as an switch leg if the switch is downstream from the light . . .
Might I suggest that you obtain a home wiring book from ..or heck..Home Depot ..some of these are quite good . . .and they'll help you unravel your mysterys . .while not creating new ones

Kingsmurf . . . .ps . .I got an word doc with no pics
Kingsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,066

Rewiring Setback

Leave the bedroom light fixture wired the way you described.

At the Bedroom switch box

Take the red from the 3 wire cable (BWR) coming from the bedroom light and connect it to the black of the cable going to the hall light switch and the black in the cable to the basement add a pigtail and connect to switch. Connect the black of the three wire cable going to the bedroom light to the other screw of the switch. Connect all the whites together.

At the Hall light switch box

Connect the black from the cable coming from the bedroom switch box to the red of the 3 wire cable going to the hall light. Add a pigtail and connect to the switch. Connect the black of the 3 wire cable to the other screw of the switch. Connect the two whites together.

At the hall light fixture

Connect the red of the 3 wire cable to the Black to rest of house and the black to the smoke detector. Connect the black of the 3 wire cable to the black of the light fixture. connect all whites together.

should get you going....good luck
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Rewiring Setback

Stubbie:

Thank you so much for understanding my questions and answering them! The only delema is that the bedroom switch box cable goes from the box to the hall light fixture not the hall light switch. There are 4 wires up in the hall light fixture box.

So what I got from your info is that the black from the bedroom lightswitch should be connected with the red from hall switch, black to rest of house and black to smoke detector. And the white connected with the rest of the whites.

Is that correct?

Again, thanks for the help!

Ryan
rhinester is offline   Reply With Quote