Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Rze
Average Joe

Rewards Points: 75

Rewiring Project

I am looking to replace the existing Aluminum wire in my house with Copper. I took advantage of having the walls open when I remodeled the kitchen. In the Living room, I cut the old boxes out with a sawsall, fished in new copper and installed plastic existing construction boxes. Of course the only issue I see with that is that I was not able to tack the wire in place (6" to 8" from the fixture). I am wondering if I really need to go back and cut into the wall so I can tack them. I assume that this is Code as opposed to just good practice. However there is virtually no possibility of the new wire getting snagged or pulled. Looking for advice.......

Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Rewiring Project

2005 NEC
334.30 (B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.

(2) Is not more than 1.4 m (4 12 ft) from the last point of cable support to the point of connection to a luminaire (lighting fixture) or other piece of electrical equipment and the cable and point of connection are within an accessible ceiling.

Part 1 is the part you are probably concerned about.

jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Rewiring Project

XXXXXXX

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-06-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Posting attempt to advertise removed with link
tdavis is offline   Reply With Quote