Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |

Rewiring overhead bedroom lights

Hello,
We moved in to a new house that has 2 overhead recessed lights over the head of the bed, with a dimmer switch next to each side of the bed to control that light. There is also a wall switch next to the door that seems to only control the closer of those 2 lights, so that it seems to be a set-up of a 3-way switch for the closer light and an independent 2-pole switch for the far light.
I would like to know if there is any way to rewire these lights so that each can be controlled from it's own switch, but have the switch near the door function as a master switch to shut off whichever of the 2 is on.
Thank you.

binyamingavriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Could be a 3-way, could be a 4-way. Open it up and post pictures if you are not sure.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #3

My question is not whether that switch is using a 3-way or a 4-way switch, but rather if it is possible to achieve what I am looking for. Once I know that it is then i can determine what wiring and switches I currently have to figure out which can be used and which need to be replaced.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Only way to know, is to do a wiring diagram in how the switches are wired to what lights they control.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Yes, the switch by the door can be wired to turn off or on the lights
How it is done depends on the wireing you have now.
What needs to hapen is power into the switch, then to the dimmers then to the lights.

Figure out it is wired now and we can help get it the way you want.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Anything is possible. The question is can it be done with the existing cables or do new ones need to be pulled in. Once you determine what cables go where we can tell you what is possible.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #7

I understand. I won't be able to open up for a day or two, but could someone point me in the direction of a wiring diagram for what i would like to do, just so i can understand the concept a little better. I understand that it may not be applicable to what I have in my walls, but for some reason i am having a tough time visualizing what may be required. Thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

You just grab a sheet of paper and pencil and make a box for the light switches, circles for the lights, and lines from the light switches to lights. Write next to the line, what is black, and what is white. If there is a red or other color, write that next to such line.

It would be the same, if you had to draw a map out for someone, to tell them how to get somewhere. The same holds true for a wiring diagram. You are drawing out a map of the circuit, and telling either yourself, or someone else how it is laid out.