Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Exclamation

Rewiring Original 1952 house.

Hey guys, My name is Cody and you may be hearing from me a lot on here as I just bought my first house.

I bought a repo that was built in 1952. My inspector informed me of how dangerous the original "Federal Pacific" breaker box is.

A little background on the house: In the early 90's a 1000ft2 addition was built on. They, then ran a new 100 amp service and used the original panel as a subpanel (60 amp), The entire old part of the house is wired without ground. Oh yeah, and the whole house is crawlspace.

So here's the plan: I plan on drilling down through the base in two different angles under each outlet and running new 14/2 w/ground wire to a junction box for each room. Then running a 12/2 w/ground wire from that junction box back up to a new panel. So I'll tie the circuits for outlets in each room to their own junction box, except for two extremely small rooms may share a junction box. Next, I'll repeat the same procedure this time in the attic for the lighting fixtures ( I plan on going back with some recessesed soft lighting).

So all new circuits, outlets, switches, and box, all grounded, for everything. I close this Friday (14th), so I will probably open up this project throughout next week. All I'm looking for is tips, tricks, and hacks for this huge project. I have done some electrical work in the past (installed A/C condensors for about 4 months). And, I went and bought Black and Decker's advanced home wiring book @ my local lowes, read it all.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Cody C.

TripleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Forget running 14/2 in your recep circuits. Stay with 12/2 for the whole thing so you can fuse at 20 amps. 14/2 is OK for 15 amp lighting circuit. What's the plan for the F/P stab-loc? I had a100 amp F/P sub in my garage that smoked, so I guess there's some truth in the stories I've heard about them being a problem.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 03-11-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #3

As for the f/p stab lock. I figure I'll just replace with a new bb. It's a 60 amp box, I'll probably go back with a 60 amp as the new ones have more space for breakers. The hard part is going to be figuring how many outlets I can load on one circuit to stay safe and not overload that box, but with only 60 amps to work with, I may have to get stingey once i figure out what all is going to be needed as far as hardwired appliances go.
TripleC is offline   Reply With Quote