Rewiring For HVAC Compressor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rewiring for HVAC compressor

My hvac compressor sits on my roof. I am having the roof replaced. I want to reroute the power to it-220V 60A circuit- through an interior ceiling chase. The existing wiring is in a conduit run surface on the roof over to the service panel on an exterior wall. It is 2 #6 wires and ground. Can I run 6/2 romex through the ceiling chase to replace it?

Advertisement

elmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

It will have to be in conduit and wet rated wire. Maybe conduit through the roof to an AC disconnect.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
It will have to be in conduit and wet rated wire. Maybe conduit through the roof to an AC disconnect.
The entire run will be indoor except where it exits an interior wall to go into the service panel- that is not my concern for now- and then about a 50' run to the point it will go through the roof in conduit to an AC disconnect- which is my immediate concern. It will be about one foot where it exits the roof to the AC disconnect. Does it have to be wet rated?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,872

Any wiring outside, even in conduit needs to be wet rated.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Any wiring outside, even in conduit needs to be wet rated.
So for such a short distance- about 1 ft.- it has to be wet rated? I suppose I could put an exposed junction box just below the location of the AC disconnect which would be the garage ceiling and run a short piece of UF rated 6/2?
By this reasoning why wouldn't service panels installed outdoors require all UF cable runs to it?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #6

Maybe I need to get clear on what is meant by wet rated. Correct me if I am wrong. I think wet rated cable is not the same as UF rated cable. It seems all THHN is dual rated THWN which is a wet rated THHN. So if all romex is THHN/THWN rated then I am good to go with standard 6/2 romex.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaur View Post
Maybe I need to get clear on what is meant by wet rated. Correct me if I am wrong. I think wet rated cable is not the same as UF rated cable. It seems all THHN is dual rated THWN which is a wet rated THHN. So if all romex is THHN/THWN rated then I am good to go with standard 6/2 romex.
I wrote a underline there and the romex is NOT listed for wet loctation at all even they have THHN/THWN conductors in there the key issue is if you do not see any marking on indivual conductor then they are only rated for dry location.

I rather just do this right by run full length in conduit otherwise you can run NM inside part until you get near the location where it will change to wet location so you will have to use the junction box for wet location conductors and THHN/THWN is rated for both dry and wet location but only inside the conduit.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaur View Post
UF is wet rated (it's direct burial cable), but NM (romex) is not. The conductors in romex are not THHN/THWN. At least they aren't marked as such.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote