Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #1

Share |

Rewiring house with push-in connectors

I am in the process of rewiring my house and would like a little help. All my drops are located in my attic and where my drops have more than 4 devices I use 8 connector push-in connectors to connect the wires. I ran individual drops to each device because I never wanted to tear apart my walls.

My question is, is there a better way to connect more than 4 wires? The reason I decided against wire nuts, is that the connections seem a little unwieldy when you get above 4 wires.

Thank you for your thoughts.

craigw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
JOATMON

If you are refering to the Wago connectors.....I would not use them....I have personally seen too many failures...part of the problem is that the spring loaded blade in the connector only makes contact with a small surface of the wire. Common causes of fires.

8 Connections? Yea, that is a lot for a wire nut....but of more concern is why you have 8 connections. I have an ugly suspension that your not doing it right.....

Are you putting these connectors in boxes? With proper strain relief?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. Yeah- I am basically referring to Wagos. Different brand, same basic product (HD & Lowes version). The small contact area is my concern as well. The problem causing the multiple connections is my house was built in '42 and I don't want to tear into the plaster walls. For the most part, I am running a single wire to each receptacle & light. My circuits are broken up with one circuit per room, maxing out at 8 devices per circuit.
I have already passed my inspection and my inspector said everything looked good. He said I never really had any good options with my drops because of the finished walls, and the method I chose was fine and everything looked good. As luck would have it, I drew the inspector with the reputation for being the most picky in my town. So, I'm not too concerned with my design, or methods. I am mainly focused on trying to determine what would be the best way to connect the wires on the larger circuits.
Regarding your question on strain relief, I am not sure I follow, but each wire has at least six inches of slack going into my junction boxes.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

The contact area on the push-in connectors are much more robust than the backstab on the switches or receptacles. I would not hesitate to use them, especially for a DIY they are more foolproof.

I have not had one callback from there use.
craigw78 (03-28-2012), HouseHelper (03-27-2012), jbfan (03-28-2012), Speedy Petey (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

What size junction box are you using for the splicing of 8 romex and what size are they?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

I was wondering what inspector actually looks in the attic?
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigw78 View Post
I am in the process of rewiring my house and would like a little help. All my drops are located in my attic and where my drops have more than 4 devices I use 8 connector push-in connectors to connect the wires. I ran individual drops to each device because I never wanted to tear apart my walls.
Question: WHY would you need to "tear up your walls"??
Your way of wiring is classic DIY or handyman style, where the professional way is either not known or they think they know better.

Personally I like "Wagos". They are MUCH sturdier than back stab receptacles.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (03-27-2012), HouseHelper (03-28-2012), jbfan (03-28-2012), Jim Port (03-27-2012), MisterZ (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If you are refering to the Wago connectors.....I would not use them....I have personally seen too many failures...part of the problem is that the spring loaded blade in the connector only makes contact with a small surface of the wire. Common causes of fires.
You've seen "many" failures with Wagos? Like how many? 3? 4?
Funny, I've seen a total of none so far.

And fires? You've actually seen fires caused by push-in splices?
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (03-28-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

I go with Speedy, I really like Wagos. I have had zero problems with them, been using them or equivalent for better than five years. They come in all sizes from 2 - 8 wire, I have a few five wire. They seem very positive, once you insert the wire, as long as the stripped length is correct, its not going anywhere. They are UL listed. The advantage of a wire nut is that you can remove it easily, but to each their own I guess.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
craigw78 (03-28-2012), Ravenworks (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #10

Hi Guys thanks for your responses.

-The boxes I used were metal 4 11/16 inches square and either 2 1/8 or 3 inches deep. I can't remember how many conductors they were rated for, but everything was sized so at least one more run could be accommodated at each box.

-I guess I don't know how rare it is for inspectors to check out the attic. Mine stuck his head through my access door and checked everything out from there. 3 of my 5 or 6 junction boxes were within 6 or 8 feet of the door and everything was organized so he could inspect everything pretty well from the door. I was in the attic when he was looking and moved anything he wanted moved and tugged a few wires to show my clamps were tight. Like I mentioned, he has a reputation for being the most thorough inspector in town.

-I guess everything I read in researching my project lead me to believe I would have to tear up my walls to some extent if I ran all my outlets sequentially- especially on my exterior walls with insulation. I know hiring a pro to do my project would have been better, but I don't have the 8 grand or whatever it would cost to rewire my house. My house was built in 1942 and all the wiring was original and in pretty bad shape, my circuit panel was overloaded, my house was wired with 14-2, and nothing was grounded. I tried to hire a pro to help out with some of the bigger stuff like upgrading the main panel and my service, but he ended up blowing me off at the last minute and putting me in a bind, so I was in the unenviable position of either hiring someone else last minute to do everything, or doing it myself.

-Its good to hear most the criticism on Wagos may be exaggerated or inaccurate. I was careful to trim off the right amount of insulation and properly seat all the wires. Like I mentioned, I think wire nuts are the way to go and have used them on all splices with four or fewer conductors. All wire nut connections were twisted together tightly before putting on the wire nut.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
You've seen "many" failures with Wagos? Like how many? 3? 4?
Funny, I've seen a total of none so far.

And fires? You've actually seen fires caused by push-in splices?
The below pic is of a 'Wago' connector in my inlaws house....

Sorry I don't have pictures of some of the failures I have seen in the field on control systems. I will say this...I guess they are fine for low current applications...but I certainly would not want them in an application that uses high current.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Civil Engineer

ddawg, I know I am over 50, but I can't tell from that photo what it is you are trying to show us, its kinda fuzzy. Is that melted insulation, improperly stripped wire, or are you showing us that the wire was the wrong length when it was pushed in? Or something else entirely? If Wagos are as bad as you seem to think, I have a house full of them, perhaps I need to remove them all? Or do you think they are difficult to install correctly, hence are dangerous if used improperly?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
JOATMON

Yea....the pic is bad...typical cell phone pic....

If you look at the side of the Wago...black spot on the corner....actually is a hole where it burned through. You see the other light in the background hanging down because I was trying to find where the ckt opened up.

I have Wago's in my garage lights...they came with them.

But based on my experience in the field....I would rather use wire nuts or terminal blocks.

Use what ever you want....I choose not to use Wago's...or equiv push in's.

I find it somewhat ironic....everyone agrees that it's not a good idea to use the back stab feature on outlets....but it's ok to use Wago's.....go figure...

Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Licensed Pro

Quote:
I find it somewhat ironic....everyone agrees that it's not a good idea to use the back stab feature on outlets....but it's ok to use Wago's.....go figure..
Completely different animals.

I have found that many of the Wagos (or Ideals) that come preinstalled on can lights have the fixture wires not fully inserted in the device. It's become a habit to just give an extra push to make sure the wires are seated properly. Maybe that's what happened here.

Last edited by HouseHelper; 03-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Licensed electrician

There is a big difference between the contact area of a Wago ir Ideal push-in vs the limited contact on a backstab device. On the connector the entire length of the stripped conductor meets a connector surface. On the backstab the contact is a thin piece of springy material against the outer surface. Imagine a cylinder, now draw a line perpendicular to it and you will see the contact are of a backstab.