Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Rewiring the house, garage subpanel question

Okay. I'm planning on rewiring my house, and the I'll be applying for the permit next week. My neighbor had thought he had a 200A panel I could have from some cottages he has up north, but it turns out he just has 100A panels, so for the time being I'm not planning to upgrade my 100A panel in the house. I do want to run a 100A panel in the garage eventually, and for the time being I would run a smaller panel in the garage but for the time being I'd like to run the cable to the garage that will be large enough to upgrade later.

What kind of panel could I put in the garage for now, preferably under $50... If it's going to cost close to $95 or even half of that, I might as well just buy the 200A panel for the house and put the current 100A panel in the garage, but I want to see if there's something less expensive that I could use for now (or if I could use the free 100A panel from the neighbor, even though that would be a 100A running off a 100A main breaker..)

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
I=E/R

Don't look just at the panel. You have to consider how many breakers you will need. The used 100A may be fine but look at the breaker compliment and if there is any open holes that can't be filled. The panel brand will affect how easy it will be to find breakers. Do you know the brand of those 100A panels your buddy has?
The big box stores carry the "contractor pack" panels and I've used two GE panels and they seem pretty good and reasonably priced.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #3

There is no reason not to put a 100 amp panel in the garage now. If you want you can put a 60 amp breaker in the main now and change it to 100 later when you upgrade the main. The 100 amp main breaker can stay in the garage panel.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Use the 100 amp panel as a sub. You do not have to supply it with 100 amps, you could use a 60 amp breaker in the main. Run the cabling from the house to the garage sized for as big as you will ever need. If you decide 60 amps is your total requirement, you will need 3 runs of #4 copper (hot, hot, neutral) and one run of #10 copper for the ground. You will also neeed 2 ground rods at the garage.

Search this site for "garage subpanel", it is a commonly discussed subject.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
I ask the impossible!

Hmm.. actually I'm remembering another part of my plan when I upgrade is I want to move the service panel, which will cut down the length of the run to the garage by 15' or more over leaving the current panel where it is. I probably should just do the whole thing at once.

For a garage, I'm going to have an outlet circuit, a light circuit, a 220 for a compressor and a 220 for a welder. 6 circuits is pretty easy to cover on any panel that has 2 phase, is it not?

And my current panel is Square D Homeline, as is what my neighbor has offered... Although he thought he might've had 200A, so per usual I'm not counting on anything until it's in hand.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote