Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rewiring house after all my wire was stolen

Hi, this is my first post here, so please be gentle.

I am in a situation where I am buying a foreclosure house for dirt cheap. I need it to live in it for a while I work during the week. In my work, I do a lot of industrial-type electrical work and I've done a little home wiring, so I do have some idea of what I'm doing.

As most foreclosures in the Atlanta area seem to be, my property has had someone come into the crawlspace and steal as much of the romex as they can. They appear to have gone under the breaker-box, snipped the whole bundle, chased each wire out as far as the can, and then cut quite a bit from between the receptacles. The wire is still run up to all of the receptacles they are just dangling in the basement. Would it be a bad idea to put a 4x4 junction box beneath each receptacle where the cuts where made? I imagine I would either need a very large box under the breakers or else I would just have to pull new wires up to it. I realize that the "right" thing to do would be to tear down the sheetrock and start over. This is pretty much the last thing I want to do. I comfortable with electric, but sheetrock is a great big ol' pain.

Is there a limit to the number of junction boxes (in typical municipal code)?
Can I have a big junction box with 12 or so terminations?
Anyone know of any other good strategy for this (I imagine) common problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Duncan

dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sorry about the theft.

No limit to amount of junction boxes.

Boxes need to be properly sized for amount of wires.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
dunkin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Hopefully your "dirt cheap" price took into account the need to rewire the place. Tearing down the drywall to rewire from scratch may be cheaper than fixing what you have. You can do what you describe, but it won't be easy or quick.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
dunkin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #4

You're right, it might be cheaper to tear the drywall down and start from scratch. I'm going to look and see exactly what it would take. One thing I was thinking that I might do is use the existing ("dangling") wire to pull new wire up to the outlet boxes.

Thanks
dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,004

If the house is not real old I wouldn't mess with the sheet rock I would pull new conductors from the breaker box to the receptacles.

Especially if you have the whole crawlspace open where you can get to them easy from below.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
dunkin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,138

Good luck, and welcome from Newnan.
I wouls at least pull new wire from the panel to the first j box.

Not really a need to put a large j box under the panel.

I have rewired a house that was stripped, and it takes much longer then you would think.

You have to verify that each circuit feeds just the receptacles you want, and you do not cross circuits.
dunkin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,026

For some receptacles you may be able to remove the dangling short piece of Romex and poke up a new length from below. It is not necessary to staple or otherwise fasten wires to the studs where you poked or fished without breaking open the wall. It is not necessary to install clamps in the existing boxes where none were before when you did not break open the wall.

Installing 4x4 junction boxes in the crawl space to tie in existing dangling ends of Romex is okay provided you have enough of a dangling end to make connections with.

Chances are you cannot use the dangling end to pull a new cable with because the dangling end is stapled in side the wall.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
BigJim (08-25-2011), dunkin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is the other way I do from time to time when I ran into some home where someone cut bunch of cables off this what I do is cut about a foot of drywall off from the wall { this may want to go a foot et half or two depending on height of the recpectale is } and pull new cable from below and that useally do it.

Just be prepared it will take longer than convetal way due you will have to check the exsting cable carefull due some case the former owner can do funny things with the circuits which I have ran into and have to fixed properly.

Ditto with water pipes espcally if you have copper pipes that is the other item you will expect to see that happend as well.

Just make sure you have proper permit and also find a way to prevent someone get into crawlspace to prevent from this happend again.

I have see worst than that the last one I have done not too long ago { in France } was a commercal store someone stripped out all the copper conductors like nuts.

Merci.
Marc
dunkin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkin View Post
You're right, it might be cheaper to tear the drywall down and start from scratch. I'm going to look and see exactly what it would take. One thing I was thinking that I might do is use the existing ("dangling") wire to pull new wire up to the outlet boxes.

Thanks
This is what I was going to suggesit... If you're talking about receptacles on the wall of the first floor right above the crawlspace, it's not much longer and saves you the materials costs of the junction box and the hassles of making those splices at a generally not favorable place to be working.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillK For This Useful Post:
dunkin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
This is what I was going to suggesit... If you're talking about receptacles on the wall of the first floor right above the crawlspace, it's not much longer and saves you the materials costs of the junction box and the hassles of making those splices at a generally not favorable place to be working.
Right on. Also IMO the less junction boxes the less of a mess/problems you have.
asfyxation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #11

just got my first house, the same way... 3 bedroom brick bungalow in detroit mi... would like to know how your house is coming... drop me an email... asap
ll2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll2none View Post
just got my first house, the same way... 3 bedroom brick bungalow in detroit mi... would like to know how your house is coming... drop me an email... asap
We don't do that here, please post your questions and comments here so we all can learn.

Thanks!

DM
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #13

my question is for the guy that started the post... we have something in common.. who made you captain of the internet police?...
ok ... just for you capt...
my question is which way did you go wiring the house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
We don't do that here, please post your questions and comments here so we all can learn.

Thanks!

DM
ll2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll2none View Post
who made you captain of the internet police?...
Actually, I'm a moderator here and posting email addresses is against the rules.
DM
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

ll2none. This is a great DIY site and the moderators do a fantastic job here keeping us honest with the sites rules. It was nothing personal. You will soon find out. In fact DangerMouse is awesome and very helpful once you get to know him.

zman22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foreclosure, junction box, repairs, wire