Rewiring Half A House? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rewiring half a house?

Home is mid 60's and has the metal conduit wiring. I am remodeling the top half and the lower half was finished when the house was built in the 60's.

I am planning on installing two new 200 amp panels to replace the two existing 200 amp panels. I do not want to upgrade the wiring in the basement, just for the remodel on the top floor.

My questions are:

1. Can I upgrade the panel and keep the metal conduit wiring for the basement? That way I can have new circuit breakers and an updated panel.

2. There are a couple of circuits that are shared with some basement wiring. Does this mean I need to chase the wires in the basement and replace all of that? For example, there are two circuits in the panel right next to each other that share a conduit run. One wire heads to the basement from a living room switch box while the other wire services the living room which is on the top floor.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #2

Rewiring half a house?

Anyone? Beuller?

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #3

Rewiring half a house?

bump.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Rewiring half a house?

You can certainly replace the panel without rewiring.

However, any wire in bad shape might as well be replaced while you're doing the work.

When you say the wiring is "metal conduit", is it BX armored cable? That flexible spiral cable (I think that's technically cable and not conduit/raceway, for code purposes). I believe that the older BX doesn't have a seperate ground - it just uses the metal jacket for a ground path. If that's the case it might be worth replacing those parts.

I'm not sure what the problem/question is with the two circuits sharing a raceway.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #5

Rewiring half a house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
You can certainly replace the panel without rewiring.

However, any wire in bad shape might as well be replaced while you're doing the work.

When you say the wiring is "metal conduit", is it BX armored cable? That flexible spiral cable (I think that's technically cable and not conduit/raceway, for code purposes). I believe that the older BX doesn't have a seperate ground - it just uses the metal jacket for a ground path. If that's the case it might be worth replacing those parts.

I'm not sure what the problem/question is with the two circuits sharing a raceway.
Thanks for the reply.

It is armored cable where the armor acts as the ground. It is in great shape.

The question I had regarding the sharing of the raceway is that it is armored. Two circuits run through that one armor. The problem is that one goes to the basement and the other to the part of the house that is being remodeled. Not sure what to do with that as one wire will be dead and the other will still be active. Do I need to rewire that part of the basement or can I just keep that run going the way it is with a newly created dead wire in it. It also junctions on the remodel level so I would need to share a junction box new to old.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #6

Rewiring half a house?

Maybe you have flexible "greenway" conduit, and not BX armored cable?

I don't see how two circuits would share a BX cable, unless it's a 3-wire cable sharing the same ground wire?

Clearly we need someone with more knowledge answering your questions here.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #7

Rewiring half a house?

There are no ground wires in this system. The conduit is the ground. There are three wires running through this conduit. The common white wire, one black wire connected to the living room circuit breaker, and a red wire connected to the basement circuit breaker. Three wires total running through this armored conduit.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #8

Rewiring half a house?

What you have is a Multi Wire Branch Circuit.

You can just not use the extra wire, and put a wire nut on it at each end. Or you can go to the J box where the two circuits are present and continue the one circuit upstairs from that point.

Make sure that each of the two circuits in any MWBC are on oposite phases in the panel.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #9

Rewiring half a house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
What you have is a Multi Wire Branch Circuit.

You can just not use the extra wire, and put a wire nut on it at each end. Or you can go to the J box where the two circuits are present and continue the one circuit upstairs from that point.

Make sure that each of the two circuits in any MWBC are on oposite phases in the panel.
The MWBC is on opposite phases and it will be in the new setup. Thanks.

The problem I see is that the junction box where these circuits separate is in the remodeled area. So I think I need to keep the metalic junction box to continue the ground for the circuit. In other words, I have to keep that box where it is and make it accessible. Correct?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #10

Rewiring half a house?

Yes you need a metalic box to keep the grounds continous, and yes you need to leave this box accessable.

Advertisement