Rewiring A Gooseneck Floor Lamp - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rewiring a gooseneck floor lamp

Hello everyone! I'm not much of a DIY guy so I figured I should get some help with this project. I would like to make a chandelier type light out of a gooseneck floor lamp.

How do I wire normal light sockets on these? There are five ends I would like to attach a socket to for standard sized bulbs.

Will the one cord going into the unit be able to handle connecting five standard sockets? It was originally wired for the smaller diameter bulb. I would like to use 30W CFLs or higher if possible.

Thanks for reading my post, the help is very much appreciated.

Drew

Advertisement

worriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

I'll have to leave the mechanical or physical fastening of the socket onto the gooseneck as an exercise for you. A variety of fittings can be gotten from an electrical supply house. THey do make standard sockets and standard nipples that screw togehter and are commonly found in table lamps.

Connecting one cord to all five sets of wires is easy. For stranded wires of that size (18 gauge or so, one wire nut can hold all six wires. Standard lamp cord generally has a thin rib running lenghwise down one side, that is for the neutral conductor. Find the wattage rating for the cord you buy, that is likely to be somewhere between 250 watts and 600 watts.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-18-2011 at 08:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply AllanJ,

I was hoping to get a socket into this cone piece somehow. I'm not real sure what piece to use or how to wire the white and black to it.

And will I need to rewire the base at all? If I can get the five sockets wired to the ends will the existing switch and cord be able to handle the new setup?

Again, thanks for the advice. I've never been real handy but I'd like to start learning.
worriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

The switch also has a wattage rating and a voltage rating.

The white wire is to be connected to the socket shell and the black wire to the contact in the middle inside.

The original fixture had some kind os wattage rating for example the instructions said to not use lamps more than 60 watts. Since you are modifying the fixture, there will be no safety rating (Underwriters Laboratories, etc.) for the finished fixture. If you use just 30 watt compact fluorescents you will probably not come close to the original fixture ratings.