Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rewiring for Garage/Oven

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, so bear with me if it seems out of sorts, and it's rather lengthy. My wife and recently bought a home and I just got done completely gutting and remodeling the kitchen (pics to come!). My buddy and I did all the work except for some wiring I had a co-worker come out and wire the recessed lighting and some new outlets. All of that is perfect and works great. I consider myself to be more than the average weekend-warrior when it comes to projects, but electrical is out of my area of practice, so to speak.

Since my co-worker is unable to come out for quite sometime, here's the issue at hand.

My issues comes with a particular breaker which I've determined powers the detached garage and for some odd reason...my oven. The wiring to the garage runs down from the panel and into the crawlspace where I'm assuming the wiring splits from a junction box and one wire goes to power the garage and the other wire runs along the crawlspace and up into the kitchen for the oven. I noticed that part of the wiring once it comes out of the ground, before heading into the garage, is exposed and when it rains now, causes the breaker to trip and I lose power to the oven.

My question is as follows, and tell me if it's even posisble.

I want to re-route power to the garage via an overhead wire and kill the wire running underground (which is currently exposed entering the garage). Once dead, the wire will come out this spring when I rip up the patio to lay a new one. I then want to be able to run the overhead wire into the garage, and wire the garage off of it. I want to be able to put the oven on it's own breaker and leave the garage on a single breaker as well. I'm assuming I can run a new wire from the breaker to the oven, and a new breaker to the garage overhead?

Does this seem doable to the average guy? Or is this something I should be looking for a professional to do? I think I have the basics down as to the process just need some further instructions.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read all this and hopefully reply!

JohnnyD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #2

Rewiring for Garage/Oven

Also, if I were to run the wire overhead, what kind of insulation/weather proofing would I need?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Rewiring for Garage/Oven

sorry to be a bother, but doesn't anyone have any insight?