Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #1

Share |

Rewiring AL to CU - need a plan!

Just had a new 200A service put in for me in our new house, and going to rewire all of my AL circuits. The current circuits have been jury-rigged by previous owners to incorporate remodeling, and a few 15A branches are downright scary in the amount load on them.

How do I go about creating a new circuit plan that is up to code? There is no way I am going to follow the current layout. Is that done by an electrician, or do I hire a residential engineer? All I want is the schematics, as I plan to be doing all of the work.

redline9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

You may want to pickup a copy of "Wiring Simplified" and read it over to get some ideas to work from.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9k
Just had a new 200A service put in for me in our new house, and going to rewire all of my AL circuits. The current circuits have been jury-rigged by previous owners to incorporate remodeling, and a few 15A branches are downright scary in the amount load on them.

How do I go about creating a new circuit plan that is up to code? There is no way I am going to follow the current layout. Is that done by an electrician, or do I hire a residential engineer? All I want is the schematics, as I plan to be doing all of the work.
Map out the house and what circuits are in each area. When I redid the wiring for my kithcen and dining area, I used excel so that I could put what and what amp for each circuit. Keep in mind, that you will need gcfi's for wet areas, and acfi's everywhere else. Stub's links at the tip of this forum are good info. Also check with your local city for licensing requirements and pick up a copy of the latest NEC.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #4

thats sorta the point. I know just enough of the code to pass (bathroom circuits, bedroom AFCI, dual kitchen outlet circuits, etc), but I dont know all of the small details and helpful hints, like anticipating remodels, lighting vs outlets, etc. Who would I contact to basically "approve" or make recommendations to an electrical plan?
redline9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9k
thats sorta the point. I know just enough of the code to pass (bathroom circuits, bedroom AFCI, dual kitchen outlet circuits, etc), but I dont know all of the small details and helpful hints, like anticipating remodels, lighting vs outlets, etc. Who would I contact to basically "approve" or make recommendations to an electrical plan?
See above again.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Experienced

I know this is not the NEC but it is very helpful guide for what you are looking to do.

http://www.nojolt.com/residential_el...ranch-Circuits

I would do a sketch drawing of your floor plan and then layout recepticles, lighting and switches, then follow the code as to how they are wired.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Jackofall1; 12-06-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote