Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
MAB

Share |

rewire switched outlet for ceiling fan

I have a switch that controls an outlet (only the top half) the other half is always hot. I would like to ultimately make the outlet constantly hot and use the switch to control a ceiling fan. I would also like to add another switch for the light kit separate from controlling the fan. I have access to the room from above and can drop down any new wiring. Is it OK to bypass the switch for the wall plug and then spice two new leads for the two switches for the fan and light all at the existing switch position? inside the switch there are 2 wires one has a black, white, and ground, the other has a black white, red and ground.

Last edited by MAB; 08-01-2009 at 01:18 PM.
MAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Yes, you should be able to do this. But check the configuration of the wiring from the outlet to the switch, first.

How many wires are present in the switch box? How many cables? What is connected to the switch, and what is contained in any wirenuts present?

You may or may not have to remove the outlet, and redo the connections there for the new configuration to work properly.

Finally, install a 3-wire cable from the switch location to the new fan box, for independent control of the fan and light. You can also utilize a dual control switch that only takes up a single position in the wall box, thus eliminating the need to replace the box with a larger one.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
MAB

I was just updating my post when I read yours. I just looked inside the switch and found the two wires I describe above. Also the switch only controls the upper half of the outlet.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Piece of cake.

Safety note: Turn the power off on your circuit before making any connections!!

Connect all the existing black and red wires together in a wire-nut. This will make all the outlets "hot"

The white wires should already be connected together with a wire-nut.

When you install your new line to the fan, use a 3-conductor. The white wire goes together with the other whites in the same wire-nut.

Connect the line side of your control switch to the same wirenut with the existing black and red wires.

The load side of your fan control will use the black to control the fan. The red for the light.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
MAB

thanks for the help. I just put in the ceiling fan today and it works great. It really did turn out to be a piece of cake. I used one of the double switches and did not need an extra box. couldn't have done it so easily without your advice.