Rewire Old Chandelier - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rewire old chandelier

Ok I've read everything I can on rewiring this piece of crap and i'm sooo mad. I was just going to paint it, but the wire is a cloth wrapped wire which was fraying and had wires exposed. So then I bought wire at home depot that stranded 14g wire to wire the central and I was going to leave the wiring in the arms the same. But then I realized the sockets needed to be replaced because one was a little melted. so then I bought more wire. I didn't use lamp cord I bought the wire seperate as was suggested by the home depot guy. The wire is the same diameter as the old one but I realized that the outer diameter is the same but the wire on the inside is smaller...more like 18 g. But I read its actually better and they all fit through the arms just fine. Now...I can't wire this to the socket. I twisted the wire to fit around the screws and its too thick. What can I do? I don't want to buy more wire because I already spent a lot buying the wiring. But if I do need to, should I just buy lamp cord and which kind? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Rewire old chandelier-035.jpg   Rewire old chandelier-015.jpg   Rewire old chandelier-016.jpg  

Advertisement

kvmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Rewire old chandelier

#18 is fine for fixture wiring. If the HD guy told you to buy #14, take it back (even if it was cut). He is full of crap, and shouldn't be giving advice.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

Rewire old chandelier

I went to lowes and bought lamp wire but they only had 16g in black. Is that ok or should I wait and get 18g? I also bought these crimp things there to attach to the socket instead of just wire...is that ok too?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Rewire old chandelier

Oh and...the single wires went through a hot knife through butter....this lamp cord...omg won't fit!!! What do I do?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Rewire old chandelier

16 is OK, just a bit bigger than 18. Get a $15 pair of wire strippers. They give the gauge size printed on them.

I wouldn't be using splices, I don't think. The wire should be long enough to run the entire length of the chandelier, and terminate one end on the socket screws, and the other end in the ceiling box.

I'd put the chandelier together and run the wire, myself.

EDIT: SPLICES: Yes, I'd use the Tan wire nuts (Twisters) for the terminations at the ceiling