Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Share |
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


I have a Dayton model 4k141B 1/2 hp 115/230 single phase motor, and want to wire it to a 3 position toggle switch to reverse direction. My electrical knowledge is vary limited, example I can change a light bulb. There are 7 leads coming out of the motor. P1=ungr-0 line: P2, T8, T3 say Tape low volt, and T2, T5, T4 say line conn. There is a note on motor which states, change T5 & T8 for CCW rotation. I have a 9 pole switch which says 10A 250vac, 15A 125vac, 3/4 hp 125-250vac, 1,2,3, phase on it. Also have two six pole switches one reads 10A 277vac,20A 125vac, 11/2hp 125-250, with numbers E60272 and LR39145 on it. The other 6 pole switch reads KEDU HY29D, 2hp 125-277v, 20/15A 125/277v, 18(12)A 250v-5E4, with a number on it 01E0907. First which switch would I use, and second which leads go to what poles, in other words, how do I wire a toggle switch to reverse direction on this motor.
This motor if I can use it will replace another weak 1/2 hp motor to run a winch to pull a dolly with a pontoon boat from our lake. The old motor has only 6 leads out of it and uses a 9 pole switch.

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Cutty

cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Member
 
wareagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 70
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...electric+motor

wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,597
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


This is pretty easy to hook up; what voltage are you running the motor on? Also, does the power feed go to the motor first, and the switch also goes to the motor, or does the power feed go to the switch first, then to the motor.

Either way, you'll need 4 wires plus a ground from the switch to the motor.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
This is pretty easy to hook up; what voltage are you running the motor on? Also, does the power feed go to the motor first, and the switch also goes to the motor, or does the power feed go to the switch first, then to the motor.

Either way, you'll need 4 wires plus a ground from the switch to the motor.
Running on 110 and power goes to switch and then to the motor. Again there are seven (7) wires coming from the motor.
cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,597
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


Ok, here's how to hook it up. Use one of the 6 terminal switches.

First, look at the back of the switch. Hold it so there are two vertical rows of 3 terminals.

The incoming hot (Usually black) will splice in the switch box and go to P1 at the motor. You'll have two wires in this splice.

The incoming neutral (usually white) will splice in the switchbox, and it'll go to T2 and T4 at the motor. It'll also go to the right center terminal on the switch. You'll have 4 wires in this splice.

Next, a wire will go from the left center terminal of the switch to P2 and T3 at the motor.

Another wire will go from the bottom right of the switch, and the top left of the switch to T5 at the motor.

The last wire will go from the bottom left of the switch, and the top right of the switch to T8 of the motor.

The motor can only be reversed when it is stopped, or very nearly stopped. If the reversing switch is flipped while the motor is running, nothing will happen. But the motor will reverse next time it is started.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Ok, here's how to hook it up. Use one of the 6 terminal switches.

First, look at the back of the switch. Hold it so there are two vertical rows of 3 terminals.

The incoming hot (Usually black) will splice in the switch box and go to P1 at the motor. You'll have two wires in this splice.

The incoming neutral (usually white) will splice in the switchbox, and it'll go to T2 and T4 at the motor. It'll also go to the right center terminal on the switch. You'll have 4 wires in this splice.

Next, a wire will go from the left center terminal of the switch to P2 and T3 at the motor.

Another wire will go from the bottom right of the switch, and the top left of the switch to T5 at the motor.

The last wire will go from the bottom left of the switch, and the top right of the switch to T8 of the motor.

The motor can only be reversed when it is stopped, or very nearly stopped. If the reversing switch is flipped while the motor is running, nothing will happen. But the motor will reverse next time it is started.
Thank you will give it a whirl let you know how it comes out.

Cutty
cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by cutty View Post
Thank you will give it a whirl let you know how it comes out.

Cutty
Tried your instructions this AM on 2 different 6 pole switches, and I get no power. If I wire motor direct in the following configuration I can run the motor and then switch T5 & T8 and run motor in other direction.
To Run Motor: P1, P2, to Neutral on cord from outlet;
T2 to Hot on cord from outlet;
T3 & T5 T8 & T4 will run ccw
T4 & T5 T8 & T3 will run cw
What am I doing wrong?

Thank You
Cutty
cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,597
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


This connection is not what is listed on the nameplate, I'm curious; how did you come up with it?

I'd be willing to bet a lot that the nameplate connection for 115 volts is incoming line = P1; then P2, T3, T8 all splice together, and the other incoming line = T2, T4, T5.

If you connect the motor this way, it very likely won't run. This motor almost certainly has a manual reset thermal protector. It's a red button on one of the ends of the frame.

With the power off, push this red button in, pretty hard. It'll click. If it does, the motor will most likely run when connected per nameplate, and the reversing switch will work.

It's also possible that the thermal protector is bad, it happens, but rarely.

If you can test continuity, check P1 to T2. If it's open, the thermal protector either needs to be reset (pushed in) or it's bad.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
This connection is not what is listed on the nameplate, I'm curious; how did you come up with it?

I'd be willing to bet a lot that the nameplate connection for 115 volts is incoming line = P1; then P2, T3, T8 all splice together, and the other incoming line = T2, T4, T5.

If you connect the motor this way, it very likely won't run. This motor almost certainly has a manual reset thermal protector. It's a red button on one of the ends of the frame.

With the power off, push this red button in, pretty hard. It'll click. If it does, the motor will most likely run when connected per nameplate, and the reversing switch will work.

It's also possible that the thermal protector is bad, it happens, but rarely.

If you can test continuity, check P1 to T2. If it's open, the thermal protector either needs to be reset (pushed in) or it's bad.
Reset red button and motor runs cw and ccw, but, it hums in the neutral position of 3 way switch. All the switches I have are 3 way switches.
It is getting closer, what's next to stop motor from humming when plugged in?You are correct on all the wires as you described in the above last message. P2, T8, T3 to together and T2, T5, T4 are line together.
Thanks for all your help

Cutty
cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,597
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


I didn't know the switch would be used to turn the motor on and off too. But it's an easy fix.

You'll need a 9 terminal switch. Connect the left and right rows of terminals the same way as the 6 terminal switch. The center row of 3 terminals has nothing on them for now. Unsplice the incoming hot from P1. The incoming hot goes to the center terminal of the center row. P1 goes to both the top center and the bottom center.

Now when the switch is in the off (center) position, the motor has no power, and won't hum anymore.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
I didn't know the switch would be used to turn the motor on and off too. But it's an easy fix.

You'll need a 9 terminal switch. Connect the left and right rows of terminals the same way as the 6 terminal switch. The center row of 3 terminals has nothing on them for now. Unsplice the incoming hot from P1. The incoming hot goes to the center terminal of the center row. P1 goes to both the top center and the bottom center.

Now when the switch is in the off (center) position, the motor has no power, and won't hum anymore.
Put 9 pole switch in and runs like a charm. Want to Thank You very much for all your help. If you are like me you like to see a project thru to the end, so just to give you a little idea of what this motor is doing, I'll try to be brief but give you some idea. We have a lake home and use this motor to run a winch which pulls a 8' wide 10' long dolly with our pontoon boat on it out of the water in the fall of the year. The dolly runs on old rail road hand dolly wheels on 60' of track 5' wide which takes it into the water to float the pontoon off. That is why I need a 3 position switch to give it the up and down motion.
Again thank you so much for your expertise.

Cutty
cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,597
Default

reversing direction on electric motor


It's always nice to hear of a successful project.

Thanks for the update.

micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to replace condensor fan motor? twags HVAC 43 07-22-2013 08:09 PM
Push Button Switch for Electric Motor crmays Electrical 2 02-06-2010 06:29 PM
Reversing direction of wood floor bhyatt Flooring 12 02-04-2008 08:05 PM
Wiring from electric motor subman Electrical 1 06-24-2005 10:37 PM
Wiring from electric motor Submarineman Electrical 1 06-17-2005 12:50 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.