DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Reverse Wiring (Hotwiring), Penny in Old Fuse Box (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/reverse-wiring-hotwiring-penny-old-fuse-box-18910/)

rlmarr 03-24-2008 11:43 AM

Reverse Wiring (Hotwiring), Penny in Old Fuse Box
 
:( Electrical problems with old fuse box that is now "hot wired."( I was personally blamed for)


There is an old fuse box and the fuses began "blowing" especially when I plugged in the Laptop/Notebook computer. . In order to keep the spark from happening in the back of the Laptop I use a surge protector as a on and off switch. But we are in someone else's home. I usually plug everything in first and then turn the Notebook on.


In this home those choices were not readily available so I plugged the charger into the back of the computer and then the wall. That is when everything started blacking out. Then other problems began since they only have electrical heaters. So if the TV was turned on another blackout occurred.


Then the PENNY idea came up. This person decided to replace the fuse with a penny so that nothing would cause the failure again. Later I learned this is a FIRE hazard. The penny worked for a while then the blackouts started all over.


So the person called an "electrician" to "fix" the problem. At this point I do not know what the "electrician" did. All seemed alright for about a week. Then it started blacking out again. So the person said he tried to fix it again and everything was so dead that nothing worked.


So the "electrician" is called again. This time an electrical cord has been applied to an outside plug that runs through the window to a plug receptacle in the room to give power to one side of the house. According to the person it is called "hot wiring." Both ends of the electrical cord have male ends. Even though this does not seem right all seems to be working. Maybe something was done to reverse everything so this "technique" will work.


I am not an electrician. So can someone explain what is happening, what could happen, and is it alright for this "hotwiring" to be done? What seems to be happening is a sort of reverse electrical power to that whole side of the house from one plug on the outside of the house. Then the electrical cord is plugged into an outlet to supply power to 3 rooms and a hallway. HELP!:huh:

InPhase277 03-24-2008 12:02 PM

Get the phone book and call a real electrician, because the other guy obviously is a hack. This is a dangerous situation. There really is no telling what the problem is without actually being there, but fuses blow for a good reason, and a penny is not a good replacement.

Hot wiring, or "back feeding" is not legal or safe. Call a real electrician, because there isn't a DIY solution to this particularly bad problem, unless you are a really experienced DIYer.

InPhase277

joed 03-24-2008 12:13 PM

Penny in the fuse box may have burned up the wires in the wall. Too many heaters on the circuit was overloading it. That is why the fuse was blowing.
Less heaters, proper fuses and real electrician to add some new circuits.

MAKE SURE YOUR SMOKE DETECTORS HAVE GOOD BATTERIES AND TEST THEM NOW. This place sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

Maintenance 6 03-24-2008 01:31 PM

I would have the local fire deprartment on speed dial and sleep in the car if I were you.

adave 03-24-2008 01:59 PM

OMG, I have to say this:

Penny wise, pound foolish.

micromind 03-24-2008 07:53 PM

I agree with the above. Unless you're pretty good with electrical, I'd get a real electrician to look at it. Quite likely, wiring has burned up inside a wall somewhere, the double ended cord is VERY dangerous, the chances of a fire at this point are really pretty good.

Quite likely, you'll need a service change to a breaker panel, and considering the abuse it's taken, I wouldn't consider using the old wiring anymore. I know this is expensive, but a fire will be alot worse.

Rob

goose134 03-24-2008 08:23 PM

You said that this was not your house. Are you renting? If your landlord is responsible for calling the electrician and he keeps calling back this trunk slammer, the next call you make should be to the building department asking for an inspection.

Take pictures if you can. Get renters insurance immediately. We are not joking this is a serious problem.

rlmarr 03-24-2008 09:16 PM

Embarrassed to say
 
I was trying to dodge who is doing this foolish thing....My dear biological father.:huh:

InPhase277 03-24-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlmarr (Post 110552)
I was trying to dodge who is doing this foolish thing....My dear biological father.:huh:

Well, tell pops he is seriously risking life and property. A blown fuse is not an inconvenience. It has done just what it was designed to do: disconnect power before enough heat was generated to cause damage to the wiring. Well, apparently, a penny doesn't blow. I bet that if you start taking receptacles out of the boxes, you'll find that one of them, maybe more, has the insides fried to the point that it no longer completes the circuit.

Have dear ole dad spring for a hotel room and call an electrician in the morning.

InPhase277

fw2007 03-25-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 110355)
I would have the local fire deprartment on speed dial and sleep in the car if I were you.

I'd go one step further, and have the FD standing by outside the house!!
This situation is a FIRE waiting to happen, and it WILL happen if nothing is done immediately!!

FW

CowboyAndy 03-25-2008 09:25 AM

Not only is it a fire hazzard, but having a suicide cord (2 male ends) is VERY dangerous to anyone who touches it. You need to ditch the cord NOW.

Silk 03-25-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw2007 (Post 110674)
I'd go one step further, and have the FD standing by outside the house!!
This situation is a FIRE waiting to happen, and it WILL happen if nothing is done immediately!!

FW


So dramatic! Just take the fuse out of the bad circuit (you know, the one that had the penny under it) and then remove your cord with the 2 male cord caps on it. Then call a real electrician, not your dad.

J. V. 03-25-2008 10:24 AM

I didn't know a notebook pulled so much current?

fw2007 03-28-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 110704)
I didn't know a notebook pulled so much current?

That is very odd. The input of the power supply brick shouldn't draw more than 500mA.

JGarth 03-28-2008 05:42 PM

Lord,
they let that man sire children .... HE was asleep while this one slipped by...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved