ReUsing Old Phone Batteries Possible? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ReUsing Old Phone Batteries Possible?

Hey, I am looking into making a mini solar charger for the time being, until I make some money to buy new stuff. Plus I like reusing anything if possible.

I have a small solar panel used for a pond pump I believe it is about 2.5w possibly.

QUESTION: Is it possible to connect multiple portable phone batteries together to charge off of this solar panel? I believe the battery is 3.6v 0.8amp as is shown here http://www.partstore.com/Part/Batter...B7018/New.aspx

I would love to be able to connect a few of these batteries to charge off the solar panel, and then have some sort of output (possibly usb?) which ever one is best to match the capacity for this stuff. Can anyone help em with this, or let me know if it is even possible? Thanks!

Advertisement

futrebartender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Well if the batteries are no good, then they won't be good for a solar system either.

And you would probably need quite a few to power much of anything. But depends on what you are powering and how many batteries you have.

Anyway read about different types of batteries and charging them...
http://www.mpoweruk.com/chargers.htm

Then solar systems typically have a "charge controller". Might want to read about these...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...a94940edcea411

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well, besides the fact they wont work if theyre dead thats a given haha, but yea Im not sure, I mean the panel isn't too big neither I dont think, so i was just thinking of having a couple batteries tied together if thats possible and then once they're charged I can charge something else with it maybe? like a cell phone or something like that? Any possibilities/ideas?
futrebartender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Chaz

Rewards Points: 25

Batteries of different types need their own specific charge regulators. Batteries of the same type, and differing voltages, each need specific regulators. A charger is also built to run off of a specific power source.

You would need extensive electronic knowledge to build custom chargers for each kind of battery, that ran off the power supplied by your panel.

If you like to tinker, I know that you can buy regulators for solar panels to charge 12v lead-acid batteries. You can probably find chargers that operate off 12v for charging small batteries. (I'm thinking of the kind that plug into your car's cigarette lighter.) Don't know how they would work with a regulated solar panel

Keep in mind that improper charging of batteries can cause them to burn up or explode! Like mom said...'you can put an eye out!".
CallMeChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Chaz

Rewards Points: 25
Wink

Dang, I really am bored! You got me thinking that someone must sell a solar powered charger for small cell phone batteries and such, and sure enough --

http://www.amazon.com/Lenmar-PPUS20-.../dp/B0023RRPRO

All you have to do is part with $38, tear it apart, reverse engineer it, and build a heavy duty version that works with your own solar panel, which is probably much bigger.

Let us know how you make out.
CallMeChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Lithium ion batteries are not the easiest to work with. They can catch on fire easily if you abuse them or disable the thermal protection circuit. Other types of batteries mostly just pop open, Lithium ion burn and then you have a class D fire with its own energy source. Bad news.

Advertisement

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , charger , rechargeable , solar panels