Retrofit A Ceiling Fan Remote - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Retrofit a Ceiling Fan Remote

I have a ceiling fan whose light and fan were controlled by a single switch. I was successfully able to install a ceiling fan remote control but the single switch still controls the on/off function of the fan. Therefore, the remote control only works when the light switch is on.

I would like to completely remove the switch so the fan is solely cut on/off and controlled by the remote control. If someone could advise me on how to remove the switch I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

DIYerIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

I thought that's how they all worked. I have a hunter remote controlled ceiling fan and it's set up like yours. The power to the fan is switched at the wall toggle, and when it's in the on position the remote is able to be used to control all the fan speeds and light.

I like it that way because a lot of the time it's more convenient to just turn it off by hitting the switch walking out of the room rather than using the remote.
The only inconvenience I find with this setup is that to turn the fan or lights on I have to turn the wall switch on first and then operate the fan or lights using the remote.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is a way to make the fan function solely by remote all the time, or maybe it depends on the brand and/or model of fan you have.

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply fabrk8r. I looked into it a little more and learned that if I removed the light switch then connected the two black wires together with a wire connector the fan would essentially be on all the time. I did this and it works beautifully. Now, no matter what position the light switch is in, the fan is on so I can completely control it with the remote control. Looks like connecting the black wires creates a constant hot source to the fan. I'm going to look into it a little further but, for now, my problem is solved.

The remote I have has both a fan and light timer on it so I can set, in advance, when both will cut off. If also has a delay light timer that will cut the light off in 3 minutes. These functions will help insure I don't leave the fan and light on all day.

BTW, I have a Hunter fan and Hampton Bay remote.

Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,316

I would reconnect the wires back to the switch and leave it on.
If you have to work on the fan now, you have to turn the breaker off.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

Thanks jbfan. I'm a newbie so, even if the wires are reconnected to the switch, I would still cut the breaker off before working on the fan. Better safe than sorry. For my purposes it works better to just have the fan always on and controlled by the remote. I'll keep your comment in mind though because I'm going to try my hand at a couple of more small projects.

I see you're an electrical contractor. Is there any long term harm in leaving the black wires connected together with the wire connector?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYerIT View Post
I see you're an electrical contractor. Is there any long term harm in leaving the black wires connected together with the wire connector?
Not a problem at all.
DIYerIT (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

There's nothing wrong with leaving the hot wires connected to bypass the toggle switch, it won't do any damage to anything.

Be careful not to lose the remote or you'll wish you'd left the switch connected!
DIYerIT (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

That one reason why most ceiling fans I always leave a wall switch there in case the remote control fail to shut it off or malfuction so you just hit the wall switch instead of running down to the breaker box and kill that circuit it may affect few other items that you may need on that one.

Merci.
Marc

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote