Residing And Electrical??? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Residing and electrical???

I'm going to re-side my house this summer.
My plan was to cut the siding around the meter base and cable hanger, leaving a patch of the old siding until I was ready to get to the siding on that side of the house. The building inspector won't give me a siding permit until he gets an electrical permit. Unfortunately, he didn't like my idea of leaving a patch of old siding under the hanger and meter until we're ready to have an electrician come in and deal with it.

Since this is me, the homeowner, doing the re-siding, it's going to take a bit longer to get the job finished than a pro (about 2 months of nights and weekends).
What options do I have for to temporarily deal with the meter and hanger?

Advertisement

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 05-17-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I strongly advise contacting an electrical contractor for dealing with the cables from the weather head on down through the meter and into the house.

these are live from the utility, cannot be turned off by you, and fused verry high. It is not safe for a DIY to take on this type of work.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
I have gas!

Thanks J, I guess I made that clear as mud. I'm planning on having an electrician do this. I agree, this is way beyond my comfort level and too dangerous for a non-electrician, like me. There's something about an unstoppable shower of sparks that scares the hell out of me. My town would not allow a homeowner to do this anyway. I guess my question is what typically would an electrician do with the meter when it needs a temporary relocation. I'm thinking I need somekind of temporary utility pole or something. Is the utility company involved or can the electrician do all the work?
Any idea what I can expect to spend for this?
TIA

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 05-18-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
So Cal Electrician

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to hbsparky

shounds like an excellent time for a panel upgrade...but if not, why not flush mount the meter inside the wall? the you wouldn't have to worry about moving it, just side around it, and instead of a standoff on the wall, have him put a riser in the wall.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
I have gas!

There's no weatherhead now. There's just a hanger on the house and from there the power line is tacked to the side of the house leading to the meter base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsparky View Post
shounds like an excellent time for a panel upgrade...but if not, why not flush mount the meter inside the wall? the you wouldn't have to worry about moving it, just side around it, and instead of a standoff on the wall, have him put a riser in the wall.
I don't know if I need a panel upgrade just yet. I've got a few slots left and I don't want to spend the extra money until I need to.

I didn't know the meter could be mounted in the wall. Do you mean I could have the power cable come off the pole and enter the wall and connect to the meter base inside the wall? So the wire would be concealed in the wall?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
So Cal Electrician

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to hbsparky

yes, you could do a rigid pipe inside the wall up through the roof and put a weatherhead on top and everything would be concealed inside the wall...looks much nicer. Just do yourself a favor and go for the larger size pipe, that way when you upgrade your panel, the larger conduit is already in place, all you would have to do is pull the new wire through it.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
I have gas!

Kewl.
I don't think I'd want to go through the roof though. I'm trying to avoid any more pipes coming through the roof. This is a two story so the wire is up high already. I imagine there is a fitting that is made to penetrate an exterior wall?

This is good, thanks for the ideas.

Advertisement