Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

rerouting boxes for lcd wall mount

I am going to install a lcd wall mount tv this week any ideas on how to move my boxes from down low to up behibnd the tv. Can I run cable line through studs or do I need to run new wire also power can I splice off of an already exisiting box. any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #2

When I ran the power for my LCD I used this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
It allowed the tv to stay connected to the UPS/Surge protector.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
DIY'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowanna03 View Post
Can I run cable line through studs
Yes. You can run low-voltage cable TV (RG-6 or whatever) cable pretty much anywhere you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowanna03 View Post
any ideas on how to move my boxes from down low to up behibnd the tv.
If you also want to move your electrical receptacle(s) up behind the TV, the best way would probably be to not move the existing box, but drop some Romex (NM-B) from a new box behind the TV to the existing box below. Then connect the new wiring to the unused terminals on the existing receptacle unit. (If both sets of terminals are used, you'd have to pigtail the wiring, providing you don't over-fill the box..).

A clock receptacle fits the bill perfectly for behind the TV (they sell 'em at Home Depot). There are plenty of nifty looking cover plates for your low-voltage stuff, but I just used something like the plate below and had the cables running through the holes. It's hidden behind the TV, so doesn't matter if it's ugly. You could even just go with a hole in the drywall.

I did a quick search and found a couple of threads here on the subject. Maybe not exact answers to your question, but should give you some ideas..

"Clock Receptacle"

Home theater install (couple electrical Q's)

jerryh3's idea isn't a bad one, but it can look messy if you're planning on having a bare wall below the TV. There would need to be a jumper cable between the supply and load receptacle from the kit. It may be the better solution if you're not comfortable attaching directly to your existing circuit.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #4

Scott,
Yes, the bottom part is a little messy but I mounted all my connection plates low so my a/v cabinet covers them.
Update-photos of top and bottom plates. I still have some paint touchup to do and some wire cleanup when the new receiver gets here.
Attached Thumbnails
rerouting boxes for lcd wall mount-photo1.jpg   rerouting boxes for lcd wall mount-photo2.jpg   rerouting boxes for lcd wall mount-photo3.jpg  

Last edited by jerryh3; 06-02-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #5

Nice work jerry. Real nice.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
DIY'r

Very nice indeed.. I love project pics..

I was originally planning on having a cradenza-type-thing under my TV for equipment, but my room wasn't wide enough for that and a coffee table. The coffee table won because it's better qualified as a beer table, and therefore needed for holding beer.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #7

Thanks. Hopefully I can clean it up a little with a receiver that has analog to HDMI up-conversion. I'll be down to two HDMI cables from the cabinet to the TV instead of the Wii component cable that I have to run now.