Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Required in-wall space for low voltage box

I want to put two coaxial jacks and one phone jack in a corner that's currently solid concrete. I already drilled a diagonal 1" hole from inside the closet, shown in the photo, but I want to extend the wall rather than cut away more concrete for two low voltage boxes in that 9-1/2" space. How deep should the hollow area be? The coaxial cable will probably have to bend when it exits the current hole in the wall. I don't think I want to use right angle adapters.
Attached Thumbnails
Required in-wall space for low voltage box-hole-bedroom-jack.jpg  

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

You don't need a box for coax/phone.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #3

I know but I want things neat and when I sell the apartment I want to be able to say how many jacks I have. If I decide not to use one, I can just unplug the cable and it looks decent. And jacks make it easier to paint, lay carpet, etc. And I want the wall plates to screw into the standard things that they screw into.

Last edited by Dorado; 03-08-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

You will not be able to get a box in that concrete. Just use a panhead Masonry http://www.menards.com/main/building...ete/c-8928.htm
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Go to your local big box store and ask for Low Volt Rings.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #6

"I want to extend the wall rather than cut away more concrete for two low voltage boxes" and I was wondering if there's a recommended minimum depth for a low voltage ring. I have to decided how much to offset the new drywall from the current wall.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Your still working on this How does a guy get a steel EMT body? . I would say take the best route, and make it work. The problem is, you are dealing with support columns at the corners, which means you probably would be best to pull the wall up and out, so that you have at least a inch or two to allow conduit to sweep around the corners.

Bad thing is, you will loose five inches aprox. on each wall, which at the end, will make the room at least a foot smaller wall to wall.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #8

There's a different challenge with each turn of the cable. There won't be EMT in this corner or through the closet and the 1" diameter hole is already drilled. A couple of inches offset is probably about right for the new wall. I'll read the specs of some low volt rings and make sure I add a little more depth than I need when I build the wall. Actually, the bend radius of the coax probably requires more depth than the box. I'll assume quad shield.

...actually, the hole is about 4" deep and dusty so maybe I'll put EMT in the hole to keep things clean when changing cable.

Last edited by Dorado; 03-08-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

I just thought of something. Instead of going through all of these headaches, and having to add false walls, go with baseboards, that incorporate the raceways for lv & line voltage in there. You can get them pre-made, or have them manufactured by a local shop & have wood placed over the face, so you do not have just the metal face painted.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #10

I know, trust me, I considered that. I have to go around doors. Some people can run cable through door frames but my door frames are attached to the plaster and mesh walls and I've been told it's not an option for me. I know about cove molding, crown raceway, etc. I'm too far into this and I have a firm plan that I'm sticking to that hardly changes day to day anymore, starting tomorrow.