DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Wiring From Outside Fuse Box To Central Ac Compressor

13K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bobo 
#1 ·
hello,

i need to replace the wiring from the outside fuse box to the central ac compressor. the old wiring is like a bx type housing with two 10awg wires running through it to the compressor. the vinal coating is all cracked and the metal sheething is showing and rusted in a few spots. i called home depot and lowes to see if they had the 10awg wire.. they only have 10awg stranded wire. the old wire is solid copper, and insulated. can i use the stranded insulated wire? the lenth of the wire is only about 5ft. i also am going to buy the flexable vinal type sheething to run the wires through. the old hookup had no ground wire from the fuse box to the compressor, must have used the metal sheething as a ground. im going to run a ground from the fuse box ground bar to a ground lug on the compressor. does this sound correct?

bob

#2 ·
I dont like the all plastic (carflex) outdoor raceway (Liquidtight Flexable Non metaic Conduit). But you could use that or, and I prefer to use the metal lined raceway with a vinal outer cover Sealtite (liquidtight Flexable Metalic Conduit).

The stranded wire will be fine, and I would use the ground wire as you suggest also.

#7 ·
mikemy6,

its a trane unit, and the tag on the ac unit in the house has an installation date of 1980, so it is pretty old. i dont know if the compressor outside that i need to rewire is original or not tho. the solid copper wires that connect the fuse box to the compressor are 10awg, and the fuses are 30 amp. i still dont know waht an "ac whip" is! please explain....bob

#9 ·
hi people,

went to HD today and bought the 3 10awg wires i needed, black, red, and green. bought a rubber/vinal 1/2" id sheething, pretty tough stuff, has cord that is sewed through it, got connectors with rubber seals, looks great, and even works...thanks for your input.

bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.