Replacing Wiring In Middle Of Run, Ungrounded Lighting Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing wiring in middle of run, ungrounded lighting circuit

Hello all.

I'm doing some major kitchen remodeling and have already designed the wiring circuits for the interior. However, there is an exterior light just outside the exterior kitchen door that is controlled by a switch inside the kitchen. The entire lighting circuit is older (probably 55 y/o), 2-wire (no bare ground), cloth-insulated romex-like wiring. Over time, I plan on replacing most of the lighting circuit, but that will be a few years down the road. So before putting up nice cabinets, I'm considering rewiring this exterior light, which is right through the wall from where the cabinets will be. But the two big questions are:

1) do I really need to rewire this light and the switch? I plan on selling in a few years and would really like to advertise 'new wiring'. From what I've seen all of the existing wiring that I can see in the house (most of it is exposed in the unfinished basement and attic), looks like it's in good condition - the insulation looks good and the copper on all of the receptacles that I've switch so far seems to be good as well. Rewiring this exterior light will be a pain and messy. Don't fix it if it ain't broken, right?

2) if I do rewire, is it acceptable to place new 12/2 (with bare ground) in the middle of an ungrounded lighting circuit? I'm not adding any new fixtures, but is this what's referred to as "extending and ungrounded circuit"? If not and this is acceptable, what do I do with the bare ground in the new wiring at all connection points in the electrical boxes? Obviously, it's important for it to not make contact with a hot or neutral and become live. But I want to leave the bare ground in the wire so that when ... OK ... IF ... I rewire the entire circuit, then I can use the bare ground to make sure it's completely grounded. So what should I do with the bare ground in the electric boxes? Cover it with a wire nut and wrap it in electrical tape? I don't like the sound of this.

Thanks for any feedback.

Advertisement

alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexz View Post
... Over time, I plan on replacing most of the lighting circuit, but that will be a few years down the road. So before putting up nice cabinets, I'm considering rewiring this exterior light, which is right through the wall from where the cabinets will be. But the two big questions are:

...I plan on selling in a few years and would really like to advertise 'new wiring'...
If you have the walls open now then I would replace it while you are there.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #3

...... but I will have to make a few small cuts to install 4 receptacles. I don't want to tear down all of the drywall, which would probably be excessive. But I would have to make three more small cuts to deal with the exterior light, switch and where the wire runs through the top plate.
alexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #4

When you are in the middle of any remodel, you may as well do all you can do while you are in the mess. It is fine to replace the old wire with a new romex. There is no need to tape off the ground or wire nut the end. Just roll it back in the box where it can't come in contact with any live wires. If and when you do any other re-wiring, you will regret leaving the old wire and it will be twice as hard to replace it then. If and when you do sell the house, I would hope that you would replace more than just a few wires if you are going to advertise it as having "new wiring".
wiremeup is offline   Reply With Quote