Replacing A Wall Outlet Dimmer Switch With A Rocker Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a wall outlet dimmer switch with a rocker switch

I want to replace a touch pad dimmer switch with a rocker style switch, the dimmer controls two wall outlets and has a black,red and green wire, black is connected to black, red to the white and green is to the common wire. The rocker switch has 4 screw terminals one is for grounding the switch plate metal housing and one that is labled for the CU wire only. Would I hook the common wire to the one labled CU only and the black and white wires to the two remaning terminals?
Thank You,

Advertisement

Last edited by Lonepine; 01-05-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Lonepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Replacing a wall outlet dimmer switch with a rocker switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonepine View Post
I want to replace a touch pad dimmer switch with a rocker style switch, the dimmer controls two wall outlets and has a black,red and green wire, black is connected to black, red to the white and green is to the common wire. The rocker switch has 4 screw terminals one is for grounding the switch plate metal housing and one that is labled for the CU wire only. Would I hook the common wire to the one labled CU only and the black and white wires to the two remaning terminals?
Thank You,
There is no "common" wire. The green wire is for grounding only and should be connected to the grounding terminal. Assuming you only have one white and one black in the box, the white should be the constant hot (and should be remarked with black tape) and the black should be the switched hot back to the outlet. If your new switch has three terminals (plus the ground), it is a 3way switch and is incorrect for this application... you need a single pole switch with two terminals (plus ground).

Advertisement