DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing undercabinet halogen bulb with xenon bulb

18K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mpoulton 
#1 ·
We were about to replace our hard-wired under cabinet halogen puck lights with xenon lights, when I read that one can simply use xenon light bulbs in the halogen fixtures, saving the hassle and expense of changing the lights. I bought bulbs from Lowe's to do this with, but on looking at the package more closely it says "halogen bulb, new xenon technology, do not touch lamp". Since I know you can touch a xenon bulb and not a halogen bulb, as well as this having the "halogen bulb..." (which I overlooked when picking them up) I am assuming I do not have a true xenon bulb. Is this correct? Home Depot had the same thing. Do I need to purchase the real thing from an electrical supply company? And, is what I read about simply changing from one bulb to another without changing the fixture correct? Thank you for your help!

#4 ·
Those are still halogen bulbs, only with xenon as the inert gas instead of argon. A true xenon incandescent bulb will not have any halogen gas present.

As far as replacing a halogen bulb with a xenon, it depends on the fixture and if the bulb will fit (same base as the halogen).

#5 ·
Thanks, HouseHelper, you confirmed my suspicion about the bulb itself. As to the fixture itself, it uses a G-8 base bulb and I have seen G-8 base xenon bulbs. These are puck fixtures originally from Home Depot (I think). Any idea on whether I can use a G-8 xenon bulb in this fixture?

#10 · (Edited)
Note a difference between xenon filled incandescent lamps and xenon arc lamps. The former works with all kinds of dimmers and can be interchanged with halogen (not "halide") lamps subject to socket fit, voltage, maximum wattage rating of the fixture, and amperes rating of the circuit.

The former has a thin wire (filament, usually coiled) between the two thicker support wires inside the bulb,, all of similar appearance to the same items in a halogen lamp. The xenon arc lamp has two electrodes not resembling uniformly thick wires and with no wire connection between them inside the bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.