Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
brn

Share |

Replacing under-baseboard wiring in basement

Not terribly long ago, I purchased a 65 year old house. It looks like my next project is redoing the basement. One issue is replacing the wiring. Along the outside wall are outlets that are in the baseboards (see pic1.jpg). It's awful and needs to go. Because the wall is plaster over cement, I think my only option is a raceway (see pic2.jpg). This leaves me with two questions.

First, what other options do I have? I don't think a raceway is the most attractive option, but the only other thing I can think of is a fake wall. That's more work and expense than I think I need right now (most of the expense is going to go into the floor).

Second, assuming I go with a raceway, how do I start it? I removed the baseboard and you can see (pic3.jpg) the existing wiring goes into a wall. I don't have access to what's in there without punching a hole in a cinder block. Hopefully, that won't be necessary. If I understand correctly, it all needs to be encased in metal conduit. I assume the raceway will fit that bill. How do I transition to the raceway?

I hope this makes sense.

pic1.jpg:

pic2.jpg:

pic3.jpg:

brn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

To help better plan your job I suggest you get the Wiremold catalog and get familiar with the fittings. You will probably need inside, outside corners, and flat ells.

There are transition fitting made to switch between cables and the wiremold.

Use individual conductors in the wiremold. Do not try to use non-metallic cable in the raceway.

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Union Electrician

While I do think the advice about the catalog is good, you should consider your satisfaction with the install. Are you going to stay in the house for a while? If so, maybe consider putting up metal furring strips, sometimes called hat channel. You can rent a fastener and the wall will only come out 1 1/2" with drywall. Then you can run EMT to get your circuits to where you need them. Just a thought. A bit more work, but wiremold is not exactly a cake walk for some.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
brn

Thanks for the responses. Both are helpful.

Goose, you hit on a conflict. My skills and resources are limited. I'd like to do it right, but then I'm afraid it'd never get done. The gal initially wanted me to just replace a couple of light fixtures and call it a day. I'd like to do it all up right, but I'm not sure it'll get done then. I was thinking a compromise of doing something with the electrical and replacing the horrible floor.

You have sparked a little conversation and I'm going to look further into what it would take. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll follow up.
brn is offline   Reply With Quote