Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Replacing two wire dupex to duplex with ground.

Changing out duplex electical outlets. Current supply line, two wire no ground, romex to metal box. I Grounded box with screw then ran ground wire to outlet.. Test shows no ground. Impossible to change wiring. How do I ground circuit?

northern60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

How did you "ground the box" ??

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern60 View Post
Changing out duplex electical outlets. Current supply line, two wire no ground, romex to metal box. I Grounded box with screw then ran ground wire to outlet.. Test shows no ground. Impossible to change wiring. How do I ground circuit?
Why does this surprise you? Where did you think the ground was going to come from if the cable did not have one?

To answer your question, you do not. You CANNOT ground this circuit without running new wire.
You can however install a GFI at the beginning of the circuit and protect everything downstream. This is a very safe alternative to rewiring, but will NOT provide you with a ground, just added safety.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (07-09-2012), k_buz (07-08-2012), PaliBob (07-15-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Changing out duplex electical outlets. Test shows no ground. Impossible to change wiring.
Not impossible in the least.
A major PITA? You bet! And if you do them all it'll add up quick...
but it's absolutely doable as it gets done everyday.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #5

As a temporary connection you can run a separate ground wire from the receptacle exactly, approximately, or vaguely following the circuit conductors, all the way back to the panel holding the breaker for that branch circuit.

Connect this wire to the ground bus bar in the panel and the other end to the receptacle green screw and also the box if that is metal. Use some wire nuts and extra short lengths of bare wire if needed.

I would daisy chain this ground wire from one receptacle to the next all on the same branch circuit. String another ground wire all the way to the panel for each additional branch circuit needing one.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-08-2012 at 10:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
As a temporary connection you can run a separate ground wire from the receptacle exactly, approximately, or vaguely following the circuit conductors, all the way back to the panel holding the breaker for that branch circuit.

Connect this wire to the ground bus bar in the panel and the other end to the receptacle green screw and also the box if that is metal. Use some wire nuts and extra short lengths of bare wire if needed.

I would daisy chain this ground wire from one receptacle to the next all on the same branch circuit. String another ground wire all the way to the panel for each additional branch circuit needing one.
Can't be done! Hot and neutrel supplies first outlet, then ( I assume ) travels to second and third outlet, all behind drywall. I agree box won't ground outlet, just trying to figure someway to ground circuit. PaPa
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

[quote=northern60;961400]Can't be done! Hot and neutrel supplies first outlet, then ( I assume ) travels to second and third outlet, all behind drywall. I agree box won't ground outlet, just trying to figure someway to ground circuit.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #8

[quote=northern60;961403][quote=northern60;961400]Can't be done! Hot and neutrel supplies first outlet, then ( I assume ) travels to second and third outlet, all behind drywall. I agree box won't ground outlet, just trying to figure someway to ground circuit can't tear walls down.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
...all behind drywall. I agree box won't ground outlet, just trying to figure someway to ground circuit can't tear walls down.
What is UNDER that drywall covered wall?
Ideally it's a crawl space or unfinished basement.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2

[quote=northern60;961409][quote=northern60;961403]
Quote:
Can't be done! Hot and neutrel supplies first outlet, then ( I assume ) travels to second and third outlet, all behind drywall. I agree box won't ground outlet, just trying to figure someway to ground circuit can't tear walls down.
Why is it that you want that particular metal box grounded ? Are you plugging something in that requires a ground? If your wanting an ACTUAL ground for the entire branch circuit then you can't do it without running a ground wire from an approved point to all the receptacles or that one single receptacle. As Pete said a gfci will give safety from electrocution and will allow a code compliant way to plug in 3 prong power cords but it will not give you a safety ground or a reference ground.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (07-15-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #11

Unhappy

[quote=stubie;961482][quote=northern60;961409]
Quote:

Why is it that you want that particular metal box grounded ? Are you plugging something in that requires a ground? If your wanting an ACTUAL ground for the entire branch circuit then you can't do it without running a ground wire from an approved point to all the receptacles or that one single receptacle. As Pete said a gfci will give safety from electrocution and will allow a code compliant way to plug in 3 prong power cords but it will not give you a safety ground or a reference ground.
Seems everthing has thee prong plug. With a two prong duplex it's impossible to use vacum cleaner or any other three prong appliance. This is an upper floor where bedrooms and baths are located. Bath has GFI, hw, all other outlets are two prongs and no ground wire. Just trying to add outlets for anything that has a three pronged plug.