Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing two switches on one plate, each wired to a different breaker.

I'm trying to replace two switches (one above the other on the same box, sideways, like an equals sign); each of these switches is wired to a different breaker. When I went to hook up the new switches, one of the lights works, and the other won't. Not only does it not work, but when I try to turn it on, it cuts out the other light (from the other switch.

HELP!

bcainjr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
I=E/R

Are these two separate switches or are they two switches on one yoke or strap? You didn't make a diagram before you unhooked wires, did you

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #3

Two switches on one yoke; I didn't make a diagram, but I know which sides each wire came from, so there are only 4 different possibilities, all of which I've tried.

I got the one light to work, but the other one just doesn't want to work. I just bought this house, and I've learned that there are 12 active breakers for the entire house...probably 36 outlets. I can't plug in my laptop and turn on a light without tripping a breaker!

Last edited by bcainjr78; 10-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.
bcainjr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

How old is the house, and before you bought the home, how detailed was the home inspector, in the aspect of electrical, mechanicals (hvac), and plumbing? Did they note the age of the electrical system in the home, and possible problems. All of this would have been in the documents they would have provided you before you signed off on the sale.

Post pictures of the breaker or fuse panel (make sure that the picture is sized, so it shows the whole panel, same for the junction box), and the junction box in question. What you may have, is a bunch of MWBC (multi wire branch circuits), that means they would share a neutral and ground, but you would have two hots coming in.

As for blowing fuses or tripping breakers, it depends on how much load is on a circuit, not how many circuits are in the home. If you are tripping the main breaker, then yes there would be a problem, that the system is outdated and can not handle modern conveniences.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-10-2011 at 10:29 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Electrician

Did you break off the jumper tab on the side of the switch?

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote