Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

replacing telco cables

Is ethernet cable suitable to replace internal telco wiring?
I have a spool of Cat5e, and some old telco wiring I'd like to replace. It seems it would be just as easy to pull a 4pair cable as a 2 or 3pair cable.

tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #2

replacing telco cables

Whenever I did new house pre-wires, I would home run both Internet and phone, using two different color CAT5e wiring. Never had a problem.
I even have my own home wired that way. 7 years, no issues.

TJ

TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

replacing telco cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
Is ethernet cable suitable to replace internal telco wiring?
I have a spool of Cat5e, and some old telco wiring I'd like to replace. It seems it would be just as easy to pull a 4pair cable as a 2 or 3pair cable.
yes. in fact it is better than the real old stuff or the cat3 that still gets used by some.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 42

replacing telco cables

Cat5e is overkill for phone lines but it will work just fine. The normal standard is to use the blue pair for the first line.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

replacing telco cables

The first question is, are you having problems with the Telephone lines at this time, or just feel the need to want to pull some Category 5? I personally would use the Cat-5 for networking, and leave the telco lines alone. Matter of fact, I ripped out all of my telephone lines in my house, and when we had an Ice storm around 2 years ago, had the line cut at the pole. Reason being, we only use cell phones, and have Comcast as our CATV & ISP, which may change once ATT is done putting in the VRad down the street. Even then, I will only have Coax, and Cat-5, no telephone.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #6

replacing telco cables

Since I have put all my services underground, I thought I'd also clean up the rats nest of telco lines under the eaves. There are 3 separate terminal blocks. It looks like it was originally one line, then two, then three. They just kept adding onto the old stuff. I can probably put it all inside the attic now. I just have to decide how much fishing I want to do. It is simpler to leave it on the exterior, but doesn't look as clean.

I will also replace all the coax and have to make the same decision exterior vs interior.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

replacing telco cables

Yes, it is cleaner if you clean it up. Also, keep in mind, if connected to the main telco outside, you need to have connected inside a NID, so that you can isolate the house wiring from telco when testing for problems.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #8

replacing telco cables

I assume the NID is part of the voice port box (coax to telco) which is mounted on the exterior. I plan to move this from the outside to the inside of my garage. Below this I will have a box or panel right at my LV conduit entry so I (or the installer) can place any splitters, ground bar and misc. terminal blocks needed to connect the new underground, and maybe replace some of what is up under the eaves right now.

I do have a question on coax topology and home run vs daisy chain. I believe what I have is a series of daisy chained splitters ('.' added for spacing):

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . /--tv
main coax entry===|voice|--coax----sp . . . /--tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .|port |--telcos . . \-----sp . . . /--tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \\\. . . . . . . . \-----sp
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\\\ . . . . . . . . . . . \---cable modem

I was told it would be better with home runs from one splitter:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |-----tv
main coax entry===|voice|--coax----sp-----tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .|port |--telcos . . |-----tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\\\. . . . . . . . . . |-----cable modem
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \\\

What's the story?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Master Electrician

replacing telco cables

Always use cat5e when installing phone lines just in case you want to utilize the wiring for DSL or networking. Why spend all that time and effort to install an inferior product?
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

replacing telco cables

DSL is fine on Cat-3. It runs for miles across town, and has no problems getting the speed to the house. To the OP, the NID is for Telco lines, not Coax for CATV.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #11

replacing telco cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
I assume the NID is part of the voice port box (coax to telco) which is mounted on the exterior. I plan to move this from the outside to the inside of my garage. Below this I will have a box or panel right at my LV conduit entry so I (or the installer) can place any splitters, ground bar and misc. terminal blocks needed to connect the new underground, and maybe replace some of what is up under the eaves right now.

I do have a question on coax topology and home run vs daisy chain. I believe what I have is a series of daisy chained splitters ('.' added for spacing):

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . /--tv
main coax entry===|voice|--coax----sp . . . /--tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .|port |--telcos . . \-----sp . . . /--tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \\\. . . . . . . . \-----sp
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\\\ . . . . . . . . . . . \---cable modem

I was told it would be better with home runs from one splitter:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |-----tv
main coax entry===|voice|--coax----sp-----tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .|port |--telcos . . |-----tv
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\\\. . . . . . . . . . |-----cable modem
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \\\

What's the story?
Ideally, you should only have one splitter. Cable should always be run in a home run setup.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #12

replacing telco cables

We have Verizon FIOS, so no seperate phone cable
I left some of the existing phone lines on the 1st floor - they work fine
And I have a basement so can easily run any new grade wire as needed when it comes out

The 2nd floor I ripped out everything
The good ole installers of course ran the phone line for the 2nd line up the outside of the house at some point in the past

I ended up with a box of CAT3 for free so I have used that for my phone runs
Then I run CAT5e for Network, in some cases 2 runs so I can hook up a Network printer or storage
Then a run of Quad 6 for cable
In the Master bedroom I have 2 runs of everything in 2 different places

Everything is a home run down to the basement
I didn't do anything fancy for the phone line connections - just a termination block
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

replacing telco cables

Quote:
=tns1;354325]I assume the NID is part of the voice port box (coax to telco) which is mounted on the exterior. I plan to move this from the outside to the inside of my garage.

you need to check with your telco about that. In some areas the telco owns the box and in others, the customer owns the box. If they own the box, they control where it is installed.

If the telco needs to access the NID for a service call and you are not around when they visit and they cannot access the NID, you may just find an extra charge on your phone bill for a wasted service call.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #14

replacing telco cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Ideally, you should only have one splitter. Cable should always be run in a home run setup.
Does it make any difference signal-wise if this one splitter is right at the coax entry in the garage, or placed 100ft away? If it is centrally placed in the attic where I already have the other connections, I save 300ft of cable.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #15

replacing telco cables

You lose signal strength when a cable is split and also when you have longer cables. You probably won't experience much signal loss whether you do the splitting at the entry point or in the middle of the attic. If I'm understanding you right, you want to run the main feed into the middle of the attic and then split it from there? That should be fine for most cable applications. I'd also screw the splitter a few feet above the insulation so it's easy to get to if changes need to be made.

Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote