Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Stove Top with Range

We are remodeling and will be changing out our stove top with a range. The current wiring is bx cable with one red, one black and one white wire. The current breaker is 2 - 2 pole 30 amp breakers. The installation manual states "You must us a 3-wire, single-phase A.C. 208Y/120 Volt or 240/120 Volt, 60 hertz electrical system." The appliance store sold us a 3 pole -4 wire surface mount range outlet (requiring 2 hot wires, one neutral and one ground) and a 4 wire range power cord. Will we be able to utilize the existing wiring for the new range or should we just run new from the box?
the.vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Been around the block

Ideally you would run a new line from your panel. It should be a atleast a 8/3 with a groundwire ( 8 is the size of the conducters and three meaning the two hots and the neutral and a ground) also you would need a two pole 40 amp breaker. You could get away with just changing the cord to a three prong cord and hoping your 30 amp breaker will run your new stove. good luck
eleservtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks for answering. I was afraid we'd have to run all new. I was looking for an easy out. Better safe than sorry.
the.vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

If you are using a range receptacle you MUST replace the cable. If this is a typical free standing range a 40 amp circuit is the minimum you would want most likely the minimum you could legally use.