Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
dsb

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a standard receptacle with a GFCI

I'm replacing a standard receptacle under my kitchen sink with a GFCI receptacle. The old one had the white wire on one side, a red wire on top and a black wire on the bottom of the other side (looped around the screws). The ground was to the green screw.

I attached the wires the same way on the new receptacle. On the new outlet, the bottom screws are labeled LINE and the top are labeled LOAD. I only have 1 white wire and I attached it across from the black on the LINE screws. The red is attached above the black on the LOAD line. I get power to both outlets, but when I turn on the wall switch, the outlet trips. I believe the red wire is for the switch, not sure if I got the wrong kind of receptacle or if I need to attach the wires differently.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Doug

dsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb View Post
I'm replacing a standard receptacle under my kitchen sink with a GFCI receptacle. The old one had the white wire on one side, a red wire on top and a black wire on the bottom of the other side (looped around the screws). The ground was to the green screw.

I attached the wires the same way on the new receptacle. On the new outlet, the bottom screws are labeled LINE and the top are labeled LOAD. I only have 1 white wire and I attached it across from the black on the LINE screws. The red is attached above the black on the LOAD line. I get power to both outlets, but when I turn on the wall switch, the outlet trips. I believe the red wire is for the switch, not sure if I got the wrong kind of receptacle or if I need to attach the wires differently.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Doug
You had a split receptacle where one half was controlled by a switch and the other a constant hot. You cannot wire a GFCI receptacle this way. Put the old one back in. You do not need a GFCI under the sink.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
dsb

OK, gotcha. I thought a GFCI might be better because this receptacle has the dishwasher and disposal on it. I have to replace because a leak under there caused a short and toasted the old receptacle. I replaced the faucet and fixed the leak, I will just get a regular receptacle.

Thanks for your help.
dsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

Don't forget to break the tab on the hot side when you put in the new receptacle so it can be half switched.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Alternatively. The RED wire on the ORIGINAL (non-GFCI) receptacle could go to control a LIGHT. When hooked to the LOAD side of the GFCI recept. and the SWITCH is activated, it will trip the TEST BUTTON of the GFCI. Because the LIGHT is using a different NEUTRAL. The solution in that case is, to connect the RED wire to the LINE side of the GFCI!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #6

If you reaaaaaaaally want GFCI protection for that plug (though not necessary), you could replace the breaker with a GFCI breaker in the panel. Most places I've seen that have been wired in fairly recent times have the dishwasher and disposal sharing a multi-wire branch circuit, with the disposal on the switched receptacle and the DW wired straight through the box. A 2-pole GFCI breaker might be a bit more expensive though, and still not necessary or required for that application. Just an option.

erics37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci, red, trip, wire