Replacing Single Pole Switch With A Combo Fan/light Dimmer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

replacing single pole switch with a combo fan/light dimmer

Before I add the switch (and run the new 3 conductor wire i'm going to need in the attic), I wanted to see what I was going to be dealing with. So, I opened up the box for the current switch that controls the fan/light and I didn't see what I was expecting to see. The switch also controls (currently) a half hot outlet that's also in the room.

So, I expected to see a red (traveler?) coming from the switched part of the outlet wire nutted to a black that goes up to the fan/light on one of the two switch contacts. But, I saw the switch with the hot in (i think) connected at the top and the red from the outlet at the bottom of the switch (they were connected in the holes on the back instead of screws). Everything else was connected via wire nuts. From what i am seeing, I don't understand how the fan/light isn't ALWAYS ON. Can anyone tell what's going on here? It might be hard to tell from these pictures. There are three romex coming into the box (2 at the top and one at the bottom). My thoughts were that one is from the half switched outlet, one is from the current ceiling fan/light, and one is the house supply.
Attached Thumbnails
replacing single pole switch with a combo fan/light dimmer-img_20150701_181037.jpg   replacing single pole switch with a combo fan/light dimmer-img_20150701_175451.jpg   replacing single pole switch with a combo fan/light dimmer-img_20150701_180343.jpg  

Advertisement

rmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore1 View Post
Before I add the switch (and run the new 3 conductor wire i'm going to need in the attic), I wanted to see what I was going to be dealing with. So, I opened up the box for the current switch that controls the fan/light and I didn't see what I was expecting to see. The switch also controls (currently) a half hot outlet that's also in the room.

So, I expected to see a red (traveler?) coming from the switched part of the outlet wire nutted to a black that goes up to the fan/light on one of the two switch contacts. But, I saw the switch with the hot in (i think) connected at the top and the red from the outlet at the bottom of the switch (they were connected in the holes on the back instead of screws). Everything else was connected via wire nuts. From what i am seeing, I don't understand how the fan/light isn't ALWAYS ON. Can anyone tell what's going on here? It might be hard to tell from these pictures. There are three romex coming into the box (2 at the top and one at the bottom). My thoughts were that one is from the half switched outlet, one is from the current ceiling fan/light, and one is the house supply.
Open up the switched outlet. The fan may be getting fed from there.

Advertisement

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectricianTV View Post
Open up the switched outlet. The fan may be getting fed from there.
Doesn't appear so. I opened it up and I see the (same?) 3 conductor romex coming in with the red directly connected to the top of the outlet. Theres another romex in there (which i assume is going to the next outlet in the room) which has its hot/black connected to the 3 conductor black via a wire nut. The bare copper grounds were connected via wire nut and the neutral/whites were both going into the neutral side of the outlet and connecting that way (via a back stab connection).

Somewhere, somehow, the black going to the fan/light and that switched leg red from the outlet HAVE to be connected right? Maybe it was in that switch box and i missed it, but I don't think so.
Attached Thumbnails
replacing single pole switch with a combo fan/light dimmer-img_20150701_181534.jpg   replacing single pole switch with a combo fan/light dimmer-img_20150701_181710.jpg  
Attached Images

rmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote