Replacing Single Ceiling Cylinder Light With Double Ceiling Cylinder Light In Kitchen - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing single ceiling cylinder light with double ceiling cylinder light in kitchen

I'm currently replacing my single ceiling cylinder light over my kitchen sink. I bought a double ceiling cylinder replacement. When I removed the single light it had the standard one white wire, one black wire and one ground wire attached. So I unattached them and continued on.

I open the box of the new light and discover one grounding wire, two white wires and two black wires.

My question is can I attach the two white wires to the single white souce wire? and the same for the black wires? Using the (ok I'm not an electrician so don't know the names of parts so well) twisty caps that were used previously...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

Travlr234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,364

replacing single ceiling cylinder light with double ceiling cylinder light in kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr234 View Post
I'm currently replacing my single ceiling cylinder light over my kitchen sink. I bought a double ceiling cylinder replacement. When I removed the single light it had the standard one white wire, one black wire and one ground wire attached. So I unattached them and continued on.

I open the box of the new light and discover one grounding wire, two white wires and two black wires.

My question is can I attach the two white wires to the single white souce wire? and the same for the black wires? Using the (ok I'm not an electrician so don't know the names of parts so well) twisty caps that were used previously...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, you can connect the 2 white fixture wires to the supply white, the 2 black fixture wires to the black supply. Be sure to connect the supply ground (bare wire to the fixture). I would get some new wire nuts to make the connection.

Advertisement

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Yes. They are called wirenuts.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #4

Wire nuts. I'll keep that in mind. Two new wirenuts came with the new light. I'll switch over to them. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #5

Worked just fine. the lights are up and the wife impressed...well at least marginally
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Good Job!

Advertisement