Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

replacing recessed light trim issue

I have 2 recessed lights in my master bath. One is over the bathtub and the other is over the shower. The original trims both had one of the clips that hold them up break off on one side some how or another and started to hang off the ceiling which looked trashy and i'm sure was not safe when the steam from the shower went up the hole to the wires...

Anyway, since there is no information on the existing trims or the casings in the ceiling I just went out and bought new trims at home depot that mounted the same way. Of course I bought a 5" the first time and had to go back and get a 6" but when all was said and done I bought 2 Lithonia Lighting 6H20BN trims. I mounted the trim above the bathtub with no problem but when I tried to put the bulb in that came with the trims it will not reach the socket! I looked at the one over the shower and the socket is actually at its lowest point in the existing case so now I am at a loss... I found some socket extenders but how safe are they to use? I do not think I need much of an extender because the thread of the bulb will reach the socket but it will not reach the threading part of the socket... I hope with makes since.

Heres a link to the trim I bought:
http://www.delmarfans.com/lithonia/trims/6h20bn/

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 8

That socket may require the use of bulbs with the long neck. Sometimes the label would be something like PAR30LN.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

the bulb that came with the trim is a PAR30 flood light bulb and is a pretty long neck. The original light was just a basic light bulb and the trim had a plastic cover to protect the bulb
Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Compare the PAR30 to a PAR30LN at the store.
nikeman (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Compare the PAR30 to a PAR30LN at the store.

ok, I am going to the store right now.... I will let you know and thank you when I get back if it works
Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

I was mistaken earlier because the trims came with PAR38 bulbs but the boxes say they work with PAR30 so I guess I got it mixed up.. Anyway, I bought 2 PAR30L bulbs and although they are smaller they fit in the trim very easily. There is a small gap between the bulb and the trim but I think that is ok since it says so on the box the trim came in! They look great now and actually light up the shower and bathtub unlike the old ones which barely put out any light through the glass cover!

Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

No problem. Glad it worked.