Replacing Out Of Code Ground Wires In An Older Home - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing out of code ground wires in an older home

I just purchased an older home (circa 1955) which has a fuse box. I'm working with a licensed electrician to get an estimate to switch out the fuse box for breakers. However, I've also discovered that the house has a ground wire to all of the outlets that is not up to code. What's the best, easiest way to replace that wire without taking out my drywall?

Advertisement

Ozzie2341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie2341 View Post
I just purchased an older home (circa 1955) which has a fuse box. I'm working with a licensed electrician to get an estimate to switch out the fuse box for breakers. However, I've also discovered that the house has a ground wire to all of the outlets that is not up to code. What's the best, easiest way to replace that wire without taking out my drywall?
I'm in the same boat you are right now but my box has already been convereted to breakers... Just no ground wires...

Advertisement

Last edited by ReiKo; 05-06-2011 at 12:32 PM.
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie2341 View Post
You need to tell us if the wiring is cable (romex) or wire in conduit. You also mentioned that there is a ground wire but not up to code so I'm assume this means current code. Is your wiring copper? Is the ground wire not up to code because it is one size smaller than the conducting wires?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,496

If you are referring the the ground wire on each branch circuit then you don't have to do anything. It will be fine as it is. The grounding system for the new panel will need to be current code however.